icon

2003 Dakota Keyless Etry/Remote Strt Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Big game 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
Just installed a Keyless entry and remote start.   The 1st problem is that the engine light is on, but everything works like it's suppose to.  Both the 1st and 2nd ignition wires are connected, I have a 3rd, but not a 3rd output from the remote.  2nd,  it took me like 8 hrs to zoom through the web to find the correct procedures on how to install keyless entry on a one wire Dakota.   I finally got it to work using the resistors and splicing them directly into the Kick Panel WHITE/ Green wire.  Everything worked at the time, until I put everything back together and went for a 10 second cruise.  Now it is 2 a.m. and I am begging here for some help.  Should I run the resistors through my two relays, or just keep it how it is and look for something else screwed on it?  Will a resistor go out?  I hope I didn't fry something.  All I get when I push the lock button on the remote is the parking lights flashing.   The power locks still work fine when I push the button on the door. and the remote start works like a champ other then the check engine light, in which a little electricle tape over that will do the job.....   But seriously,  I need help, or I might just go out and by a Yugo.  :\
Mike's Bikes
Carson, CA
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
I have had that happen before on these cars, don't sweat, it does not mean anmything is wrong with the car.  do this, take bothy the positie and negative battery terminals off, and let them sit for about 20-30 mins and after that it whould go away!!
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
Big game 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I will give that a wing, but what about the Keyless Entry not working.  I don't really feel like untaping and stripping down the wries again.  I'm fat, and it sucks laying under that little hole I have to work with.  Although, I did find allot of Frech Fries under the seat when I was down there.  I guess if I ever got stuck down there I would be able to live off fries for a while.  Anyway,  back to the Keyless Entry problem.  Is it the resistors that might have gone out.  Nothing seems to be jarred under there, and I did a pretty good wrap and tape job on the wiring, but I am still wondering if I should go back and install the relay/relays??  If anybody has any suggestions let me know.

P.S. Thanks Daniel for the info.  I will give that  a go right now.

Mike's Bikes
Carson, CA
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
as far as the keyless not working, make sure that the resitors still work and that the wires are solderred.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Big game 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok,  the battery thing worked like a charm.  Thanks Daniel, no more engine light2003 Dakota Keyless Etry/Remote Strt Help -- posted image.  Next, the keyless entry problem is a bit disturbing. 2003 Dakota Keyless Etry/Remote Strt Help -- posted image. I went to get a reading off the 2 output wires coming from the remote.  They still had a strong solder and solid connection.  The reading i got when I tested both wires was a constant 12 V current without any buttons pushed.   Prior to connecting the wires, it was always a 12 V surge when I pushed the lock button on the remote.   I am dazed and confused now.  2003 Dakota Keyless Etry/Remote Strt Help -- posted image.  Maybe my remote module went out or something.   I can't figure out why I have constant power running through those wires.  Any idea's?
Mike's Bikes
Carson, CA
Big game 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

I AM AN IDIOT!!!!   This whole time I have been looking at the wrong thing.  When I mounted the Remote Module to the truck, I must have jarred the 3 prong connection loose.  I tracked back the wiring to resolve this problem.  Remember when your trying to find the problem, always start at the beginning and work your way to the end.  Dumb, Dumb.  I waisted a whole SUNDAY trying to resolve an easy fix.  Well, at least everything works now. 

Thanks to this forum, and special thanks to Daniel

Mike's Bikes
Carson, CA
daniel2002p 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
you got it, always glad to help, and glad you found the problem.  have fun with it.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic