icon

fiberglass install starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KrAzEEZ24 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
ok...so, i dont really know how to make a fiberglass install. i was wundering if someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fiberglass, and the stuff i need to do it with. or send me to a page that can help me out. i wanna make somthin up for my g/f 2003 Hyundai Tiburon.
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Start with your equipment, amps, subs, caps, etc. once you have all that do a mock up of how you want everything to lay out.  Plan on what you want to accomplish with your results SPL,SQ,just to show off, etc. Once you have got that all ready make a frame or housing for your equipment. start fiberglassing,sanding , glassing, sanding, puttying, sanding, well you get my drift. It will take alot of patience if this  your first time. but remeber these simple rules, follow the instructions, measure twice cut once, stick with one idea and don't change half way through the project, and last take your time.
The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
KrAzEEZ24 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
i have a couple questions though. enclosure space. making a design for fiberglass install, i still need to keep in mind the volume that the specific subwoofer needs? and im lookin at a step by step fiberglass install, specificly this pic.... http://www.hzemall.com/images/tiburon/P1010001_2.JPG
is the black in that pic the resin? is that almost like a template, like do u pull the actuall install out from under it? and one last question, having a couple subs mounted in a fiberglass enclosure, will the subs eventualy break the fiberglass? or is the glass pretty strong?
technodigifreak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

read and learn, this guy's site is very helpful

Hot-Modder
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

Well, if you notice in the pictures before that one, it is grey (that is the material) then they added the resin(which made the grey, black). So they built the base out of MDF, Then covered it in grey material, then put resin on the material, then you would build it up with fiberglass mat, then use body filler (bondo) to smooth it out, then sand Bondo, sand  bondo, and you may need to do a few more of these to have it look nice enough to paint. The picture that you showed will be the box, not a mold. The fiberglass may break if it is not strong enough, Just build it as strong as you can, and hope for the best. I have not had any problems with the glass breaking, but you should build as much as you can with MDF, first then cover it to get the shape you want.

Matt

kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, check out this picture if you haven't already

http://www.hzemall.com/images/tiburon/P10100251.JPG

So that is the base, then cover that with stretchy material (that will soak up liquid well), as smoothly  as possible (try to get every wrinkle out ) then use resin.

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  
technodigifreak wrote:

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

read and learn, this guy's site is very helpful

great link

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
snowdeath 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Wow that is a great link!!! Now I think I may try making a nice fiberglass enclosure for my lcd screen to place it on my trunk lid!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic