What guage wire to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SVrider 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I am new here and I have a question.
I am installing an air horn on my motorcycle, and I want to know what gauge wire to use. The compressors ratings are as follows:
12VDC, 10 watts, 8 ohms
The relay that is used is a 40 amp
The fuse that needs to be used is a 30 amp
The power wire going to the compressor is going to be about 2 feet in length.
Another question, what type fuse should I use? There is not a fuse supplied, so I don't know what will work well. Is an inline fuse going to work for what I need?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.What guage wire to use? -- posted image.
-Chris
2001 Suzuki SV650
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
yes an inline fuse will work as long as you place it right at the source of voltage (battery,etc).
The guage of the wire can be 12 guage this should work fine for what you need! On a side note that horn will never draw 30 amps!! But if it is recomended by the manufacturer than do it. I would use a smaller value fuse and then see if it blows if not leave it maybe a 15 or 20 tops.
SVrider 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Why does it matter where the fuse goes?
How much current is going to going through the wire? I tried figuring it out, but I kept getting different numbers when I tried different variations of V=IR
What is the Eq for watts?
Can you tell that I know nothing about electricity?What guage wire to use? -- posted image.
-Chris
2001 Suzuki SV650
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
The fuse should always be close to the source of volatage because of shorts if the wire shorted on metal the wire would start to burn from the source if the fuse is close it can stop the burn before it is farther down the wire.(basically trust me and place the fuse near the battery so u and your car will be happy)
With the figures u gave it would have about 1 amp of current flowing through it. But its better to have bigger than needed than have too small so use 14 guage wire for the horns. Im sure that they will never draw more than 10 amps. The current draw will change though at times and this is the reason why you need more is to operate the compressor at startup- the current may be around 10-20 amps but once going it will be much less. When a motor starts up it draws a substantial amount of current as compared to when it is running.
What is the Eq for watts?
power is the equvilant of watts
Can you tell that I know nothing about electricity?
You sound like you want to learn this stuff better that sounds good to me!
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
oh by the way a 14 guage wire will handle 35 amps at the distance of 2 feet u mentioned!
SVrider 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thankyou for the quick replies, I was just wondering about the fuse placement. I wasn't trying to disagree.
By "Eq for watts" I meant Equation, I should have been more specific.
I think it is P=IV, but I am not sure
14 guage sounds great, Do I need to solder it or will spade and slot connections be good enough?
-Chris
2001 Suzuki SV650
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Soldering is always best, Then you will have no problems if you have a sodering iron then go right ahead and solder.Butt connectors will do as long as they are done corect. For all the ohms law use the calcualtors they have on this site in the basic menu on the top left corner. Yes 14 guage sounds great and it will not be to thick (easier to work with)
By the way I did not think u were did not believe me about the fuse ,
SVrider 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing the air horn on my motorcycle. Its a safety device so all you cagers out there don't run me overWhat guage wire to use? -- posted image.
This is my bike. Its in the modification process -aka WinterWhat guage wire to use? -- posted image.
What guage wire to use? -- posted image.
-Chris
2001 Suzuki SV650
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

wow nice back if u guys can help me out with my question it'd be grreeeat check it out at the car audio forum

its under "help install amp"

or somthint like that

BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

i meant bike hhehehe wrong i'm a fob sorry

wut is the highest amount of guage wire ?

i wanna buy the thickest one there is

12 guage speaker wire?

18 guage ?

its for my 1000 watt sony amp to my two 10" sony subs?

thanx

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic