icon

seeking advice on a 4 channel amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jwshardbody 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,    I am looking for a good 4 channel amp to run my entire system from,  I have a Alpine ERA-G320 EQ already, and plan to run two 6.5's for front stage and a single 8 for the low end.

I am really interested in the RF 501x, but the built in crossovers are preset, (not fully variable).  This amp meets all my needs except for the crossovers.   Seems to me I would be short changing myself by not having complete control over the LP & HP crossovers.

I am just lookin' for some advice on other 4 channal amps that may meet my needs,(65W rms x 2 @ 4 ohms & 250W rms x 1 @ 4 ohms)................. price range is flexable, the RF 501x will cost me $370 @ a local shop.............

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

If you want control and quality look at JL's 450/4 or you could just buy an outboard cross-over from Audiocontrol and use that for you low and high pass crossovers instead. Remember though, as a signal gets processed more and more the signal quality goes down. Audiocontrol does an excellent job with their processing if you do want to buy the Rockford Fosgate amp(which I would reccomend doing). their 24sx would be perfect for what you would want to do.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Crossovers/24XS.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/4504.html

jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

If you want control and quality look at JL's 450/4 or you could just buy an outboard cross-over from Audiocontrol and use that for you low and high pass crossovers instead. Remember though, as a signal gets processed more and more the signal quality goes down. Audiocontrol does an excellent job with their processing if you do want to buy the Rockford Fosgate amp(which I would reccomend doing). their 24sx would be perfect for what you would want to do.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Crossovers/24XS.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/4504.html

Looks like the 24SX may be the way to go for me,..... that JL amp is nice, but HUGE,....LOL.......the RF 501x has a small foot print in its favor.

I do not have much room due to having a PS2, flush mounted in dash LCD (inside factory double DIN), 400W(800W max) power inverter, the Alpine EQ w/ 12x8x2 control box (w/ remote face panel), and still have to fit in the sub box, amp, and poss. a crossover.........................

Will I be OK w/ my signal quality w/ the Alpine EQ feeding the audio control 24SX crossover, BTW, my PS2 is my only source unit,........... The PS2 will be converted into a multi media center w/ Video, games, and audio jukebox, w/o any need for external media,....... everything will be on the Harddrive.............(still workin' on all this,.......LOL)

Thanks for all the help you have offered and more is always welcome. I am still learning, heck, today I just learned that I could still use a 4 channel amp w/ the Alpine EQ. I guess I just assumed that I would have to have seperate amps for the front and sub outputs........... LOLseeking advice on a 4 channel amp - Last Post -- posted image.

jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
  Any body have an opinions about the quality of the RF power 551X,........... this amp does have fully variable crossovers and a bit more power than the RF punch 501X,.............. and thezeb.com has givin me a best price approval for $219 shipped, and claims to be an authorized RF dealer, so full manufatues warr. will apply..................... it happens to be $380 at local shops,..............  I wish I could make up mind,      but thats why I am posting this,............. I want to be sure I get the most bang for my buck..................
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the RF 551X would be a good amp to use. Yeah I think thezeb.com is an authorized dealer. Rockford Fosgate makes pretty good amps.
jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

customsuburb wrote:
Yes the RF 551X would be a good amp to use. Yeah I think thezeb.com is an authorized dealer. Rockford Fosgate makes pretty good amps.

Thank you,    that what I wanted to hear,..................LOL................

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Good. I hope your install goes well. You might want to call Rockford Fosgate to see if they have a list of authorized online dealers, just to make sure.
jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

customsuburb wrote:
Good. I hope your install goes well. You might want to call Rockford Fosgate to see if they have a list of authorized online dealers, just to make sure.

Good Idea,..........you are a smart man,...........LOL, thanks for all the help,..............

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic