icon

Help With Box Design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jae-rome 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
Alright here is my dilemma. I just got a new 2004 Nissan SE-R Spec-v. I got 2 Diamond Audio CM312D2 subs and a Diamond Audio D5 600.1 amp. I had it all hooked up and it sounded great, Only problem is that I am running a transmission box and that takes up way to much room. So I am looking to go with a sealed box but I don't want to sacrifice trunk space either. If you have any ideas on a box design let me know. Oh, yeah I'm not a newbie at this stuff i have an idea on what I want to do and was just looking to see what other options I might have. thanks
jae-rome 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
Also I am trying not to interfere with acces to my spare tire. I had already gotten a flat tire and it was a pain to take out my other box to get to my spare. thanks again
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
This is the dilemma that we all face at some point if we own cars, most decide to just grin and bear it... but yes if you get a flat tire (especially if its cold) it BLOWS... my best advice is to build an enclosure either ... two seperates..... something like this .................the straight lines are the sides of your trunk... o is tire well and \ are enclosures....     _______
                  l\ O /l
                  l \   / l
                  ---------   I hope you see what i mean.. mount the amp on the back seat and then just bild an enclosure with access to the wheel well.... it makes sense in my head ... :-D Peace love and guidance
jae-rome 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I had that idea too but then last night when I was looking through my trunk I was thinking what if I cut the foam cushion from the back seat back rest and place my subs there. Actually my amp is located in the trunk but off on the side wall there was no way I could mount it on the back seat. So tell me what you guys think about the cut out on the back seat cushion
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would only do that if you are absolutely sure #1 youd have enough room... i know i have an accord and i only have about 1ft 3 in. right there... and #2 that you know how to upholster the remaining foam from the seat so you can sew it back up to look nice.... and know how to fasten your subs there etc.... I wudl do some research first before you make a cut..and even if it gowes to the extent of going to a junyard and trying to find a near or similar seat and try to similate it cuz lets face it .. its your car... whod want a gaping hole in their back seat lol....
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
id say make 2 narrow shallow boxes on either side, the only problem is getting the frequencies to be okay with such a small enclosure. measure more than twice, cut once, and i wouldnt cut the seat anyway, your going to want the subs facing backwards anyway, so cutting it wouldnt really do much.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
jae-rome 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
I think I came up with a solution to this problem I am going to make two seperate boxes and seperate the two one on each side and then connect the tow boxes with an amp rack so the amp is centered in between the two enclosures. Now I am thinking if it really is better to fire towards the rear or towards the cabin. Any comments on this would help a lot. I am planing on fabricating the boxes today, tomorrow at the latest. Thanks again
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
if i were you yes, id fire them 2 the rear or at least at each other for a coupling effect. you'll notice that when fired away from you you get a whole lot more depth and low end, overall you also wont hear the cone making that annoying snapping sound as well, especially at peak ecursions.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
your cone shouldnt be making a snapping sound hopefully. I like my sub facing towards the back of my suburban because it gives me tighter bass. If I have the back door open then it sounds boomier, like if i faced the sub firing towards me. Most people have their subs facing away from them.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
When i say most people i actually ment most people i know prefer this. do what ever you want. And unless your sub cone just flew out the back hatch window your subs shouldn't be making snapping noises(unless its a low quality sub).
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic