icon

Voice Coils

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flashalex 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Aight I have an Audiobahn A8002T 2 channel amp and I want to run it at 2 ohms. I am planning on buying 2 new 12 inch subwoofers so what should i get. Dual 4ohm voice coils, single 4 ohm voice coil, dual 2 ohm voice coils, single 2 ohm or is there a different one. And should I run them parallel or in series once i have them to achieve 2 ohms.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
 Is this amp 2-ohm stable when bridged?  If so, the simnplest is to get two 4-ohm SVC woofers and drive them in parallel.  Make sure they are rated for the 2-ohm bridged power output of your amp.  If the amp is 2-ohm stereo stable, then get 2-ohm SVC woofers and drive one off each channel.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
You amp is not designed to operate at 2ohm mono, so Dyohn was on the right track. This amp is 2 ohm stereo stable, which is the same thing as 4 ohm mono stable. I would recommend that you run the amp in bridged mono mode at 4 ohm with a pair of 4 ohm dvc subs wired in a series / parallel circuit = 800w rms x 1 according to their "spec" which will drive 200 watts to each voice coil, 400 watts per sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
flashalex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

So which one of these would be the better choice if I wanted to run them at 2 ohms.

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/AW122T/detail.asp which is the Audiobahn AW122T  or
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/AW1200Q/detail.asp which is the Audiobahn AW1200Q

the amp I have is the Audiobahn A8002T http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/A8002T/detail.asp

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

Lets see if we can unconfuse each other here. I want to know why 2 ohms is important to you. You want subs that are 2 ohm but you have listed  dual 4ohm and single 4 ohm subs that are not a good match to the amp.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
flashalex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Well if you have 2 4 ohms subs cant you wire them into a stereo 2 ohm.

flashalex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
im trying to achieve 2 ohms with 2 12s and i want to know how i should do it how many voice coils should i get per sub and should i wire it in parallel or series?
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

hey man, here's a little list:

2- DVC (4+4 ohm) subs, run each sub in series, then wire the 2 subs in parallel

2-DVC (4+4 ohm) subs, run each sub in parallel, then wire the 2 subs in series

2-SVC (4 ohm) subs, run them in parallel

2-SVC (2 ohm) subs, run them in series

I dunno why you wanted that, but there ya go.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
ah sh*t. sorry about that man. damnit, i gave u all ways to get 4 ohms. disrgard that post completely. damn.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic