icon

Considering new system setup.opinions plz

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Whats goin on guys, I have a Nissan mini truck regular size cab. Right now i have a 10" MTX Black Gold sub in a home built 0.76 cu ft sealed box, 400w rms. Sounds excellent, only problem is, the steering wheel is in my lap, i have to move the seat all the way up for it to fit in there. The sub is 5.5" deep so i need at least 6" to clear it, in my mind at least. So trying to solve this dilemma, i want a set up where the sub is not so deep, but will still sound good.

So yesterday i stumbled upon a (don't laugh too hard) 8" sub at Wal-mart for 20 bucks! Now yeah i know im gonna catch alot of flak for this, but oh well, its all fun and just for experience right now. They are 4ohm DVC 200w peak 100w rms, spun aluminum cone (main selling point, and the dvc was a big one too). When i got home i hooked it up to my home theater reciever (100w rms) and it sounded pretty damn decent. Now since its a walmart special, the instructions are beyond lame and give NO specs on the sub except the power handling and size. So i am thinking about making a 0.50 cu ft sealed box for it. What do you guys think, is that a good size to try out? If not whats a good size to make for an 8" sub with 100w rms, sealed?

Also, i have a 1000w peak, 800w rms 4 channel amp. I am thinking about, if this one sounds decent in an enclosure, is there a way that i can hook up 2 subs per channel and have each sub getting 100w rms? The amp puts out 200w rms x 4 at 4ohms. I am thinking its possible because of the DVC's but i am new to the DVC subs so i need a little guidance, i also figured i will try out some DVC wiring now on these little $20 subs instead of possible blowing up $400 subs later on. Another reason i liked these is simply cause they look cool. They have a red aluminum cone with a black rubber surround, a metallic red painted basket, and a chrome magnet, 30 oz no less.

The final system idea is to have about 6-8 of these things in the cab of my truck on the back wall. 8 subs is perfect number cause then i will use all 4 channels of my amp, if i have to use 6 subs and only use 3 channels, oh well.

Oh yeah the company name is "Roadmaster".

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your time, i know this post was plenty long, just wanted to avoid as much confusion as possible. Oh yeah, diagrams on wiring would be GREATLY appriciated since i am new to the DVC scene.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Cheap speakers are sometimes a blast to play around with.  You can try new stuff and strange enclosure ideas without, as you say, risking an expensive piece of equipment.  That's one reason why I love Parts Express.  Where else can you buy OEM quality speakers for 87 cents?

Anyway, if you wire your $20 specials with the voice coils in parallel, you end up with a 2-ohm load per speaker.  Then wire two of these in series (for a total of 4 ohms) and take that to one channel of your amp.  The amp will deliver 200 watts into 4 ohms, and since the two speakers are in series, each will consume 100 watts.  Should work fine.  A 0.5 cuft sealed enclosure is a good ballpark to start with.

Putting eight of these into a truck will be an interesting experiment, especially for under $200 total investment for the drivers!  If you like it, you can install better quality 8's later.

Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, i'll definetly give it a try. only problem is i am limited with space and getting .5 cu ft to each one of these is gonna be a little tough, but i'm not giving up that easy. I have plans made out of how to build the boxes, and it will be a big solid box, carpeted, seamlessly in the front. Just gotta find a decent carpet to use to accent the red and black color combo nicely. And i might even use some neons also from walmart, but then again, im getting ahead of myself. gotta see how they sound in a box first.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

sounds like a plan!  good idea with using cheapo subs...sometimes they arent that bad.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Heres the site if you guys wanna take a look at what they look like. All the way at the botom on the left.... http://www.roadmasterusa.com/rm_speakers.html

I might replace my MB Quart 6.5" coaxials with the speakers right above the subs, my highs are just way to HIGH!! i mean like ear piercing, and this is with the HU treble setting at 0. That and the MB Quart tweeters clip a little to easily. And i have the filters on.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

they move...turn it to the floor so its not in direct line with you.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
my tweeters are not adjustable unfortunetly
Disaster092 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Been while but time for an update. I finally built my test enclosure, sealed at first. But the sealed box was too distorty, heh stupid word, anyway, so i went aheqad and ported them (1 5/8" port, 6" long) tuned at 40 Hz. I used PVC pipe, and i rounded off all the edges for as little whistling as possible. And then i lined the inside with some scrap foam i had as an attempt to kill some resonances, it actually worked, it was only like 1/8-1/4 inch thick. And i am kinda sad to say it but, this thing is killing my 10" MTX Black Gold sub. I have it wired in parallel, it was really distorted when wired in series.

So i will go ahead as planned and stuff 8 of these little subs in the cab of my truck. But i will not start to build these boxes up until i get my new bucket seats in the truck. Mainly for clearance reasons. As soon as i am sure that my box plan will fit with the new seats, it's only a matter of a weekend at the most. And then trying to figure out where to mount my monster of a 1000w amp and my somewhat mid-sized Alpine amp. And i can't imagine how much fun im going to have wiring everything, and finding a way to have all the ports come out in good areas. From there it's all gravy.

And i have on other question, how deep are good name brand 8" subs? These only need 3.5" inches of depth to clear them. Just curious so i know if i try to upgrade later.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
JL's W0 8" sub require 4.63" of depth. these would be a good match for your amp also. You can get them in 4, 8, or 12 ohm versions and they handle about 75 to 100 watts RMS each. JL's more expensive W3v2 8" subs have a mounting depth of 4.31" handle about 125 watts RMS each and come in 2, 4, or 6 ohm dvc. JL Audio W3v2    JL Audio W0
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
hows the sound quality on the sub....like what is ur opinion on it does it sound better than the mtx etc
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic