icon

Amplifier ventilation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikeymars 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2002 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

This is general question, and one that I realize the answers to may vary, depending on several issues (amp size, use, etc.) 

I have two amps (taken out of my old car) that I plan to use in a new install, in a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire.  Both are comparatively small.  One is an old (but still useful) Crutchfield model 187CR "Performance" series 2x30 rms, the other is a Sony model XM2540 4x25RMS.  Both are decent MOFSET items which can be bridged to deliver 1x60 and 2x50 if required.

The Sunfire is not a huge car, and I'm in the typical situation of searching for places to put the amps (this install is designed to sound good, not compete or impress people with fancy trunk setups, flashing lights, etc.)   Frankly, I'm trying to do the install to keep the car looking as EOM as possible, ergo trying to avoid using trunk space to the degree possible for the amps.

I've discovered that the Crutchfield amp (which isn't big, about 6.5" wide, 1.5" tall and 9" deep) could fit into a small space up front, under the middle of the dash down near the floor (inbetween the kick panels in front of the console).  The issue is, if the amp is put there, it's going to sit jammed into a tight space borderd by ventilation system runs.  

I know from experience in my last car (where the amp sat under the drivers seat, that won't work in the Sunfire, not enough space) that it barely gets warm (probably because I don't blast away with my music).

So, part of me is thinking "heck, I know amps are supposed to have a few inches of venilation space, but this thing doesn't get hot, so it will be fine in that little space up front, especially if I put a little fan in above it",  while another part of me is thinking "yeah, but rules are rules."  Any thoughts? If it helps, the amp would be used to drive a pair of front speakers, Infinity Reference 4x6 plates that are rated for up to 50 watts RMS. 

As for the Sony, it's only a little larger than to the Crutchfield, but still too big to go anywhere I've found under the dash, or under the seats, so I'll probably tuck it into a back corner of the trunk (where it won't be noticed unless someone is really leaning over to look; I've also considered a shelf under the rear deck, but given the design of the Sunfire that is a less desirebale option given it cuts down on a surprising amount of usable trunk space).  Yes, I know the Crutchfield could fit there too, but again, I'd prefer to put as little as possible in the trunk.

mikeymars
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2002 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hi mikeymars, it sounds like you already know the best answer, but I'll go ahead with the obvious anyway ;) ......since you are already going to mount the Sony amplifier in the trunk of your vehicle and the Crutchfield amplifier is relatively small, for ease of installation and to eliminate any possible overheating issues with the Crutchfield amplifier, why not just mount it near the Sony amplifier and be done with it? However, if that little bit of space it may take up in the trunk is crucial and you can provide adequate ventilation to it up front, then go for it. At this point it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.
mikeymars 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2002 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
12volt, thanks for the input.  I guess putting both on the back wall of the trunk (one on each side) may be the most straighforward approach.  Also removes any concerns about the Crutchfield possibly overheating.  
mikeymars
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2002 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
that crutchfield.. is it one of the flat grey ones without "fins"?
If it is, those were made for crutchfield by either Orion or PPI, I forget which, but I'm thinking it was Orion.
They are pretty solid amps. They wren't super cheap even when they were new.
I used a 75WRMS*4 model in a friend's car for mids/highs and it did a terrific job.
They don't get super hot in that type of 4-ohm use, but they may if you drive the amp at 2 ohms, or use it for subs.
The Orion 280GX I used as the guy's sub amp though.. holy cow those things get really hot. heh
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic