icon

mounting ideas, 2 10 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shadowrelic 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

ok first off im a total newb and just found out about 5 minutes ago that the way you mount a sub makes a big difference in the way it sounds.

ok i have 2 10" subs both without cases.  i have an entire trunk to mount them in but i would like them to take up as little space as possable (with best performance).  they are 300 watt subs, and i was planning on installing them tomorrow.  I want my subs to do the most they can in my little car, and if the case stile will help that, then ill go for it :D

i dont know how much the cases for subs are but if they are over 15 per sub i think i might try and make one myself.

--i dont really know much about ported and sealed and all that stuff, so any links to describe the best install method would be much appreciated :D

2 subs
1 amp
0 knowledge of how to hook them up to my car.
jae-rome 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
It would help if you tell us what kind of vehicle they are going in. I found out from past installs that the type of vehicle the go in play a vital role in the positioning of the subs. Now to answer your other question whether to go sealed or ported I say go sealed, If you go ported then depending on your box and port you will have it hit at only specific frequency (all depends on the box) also they are harder to make if you are just starting out.
Yeah so let us know the vehicle type and the model of your sub the watts don't really help out to much on the specific design of the box. All subs require different air space.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  

what type of subs do you have, ?

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

i dont know the model number but i can try to discribe them the best i can:

10 inch diameter, 4 3/4 inches deep, huge magnet, they have that little bulge in the middle (sorry for the non-tech terms).  ummm i dont really know what else to say about them... ill keep looking around for the model number though

2 subs
1 amp
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

ok i had no luck finding any pictures or model numbers on google (if you know a site i could try let me know)

i forgot to say that they are round (not square)...

o yeah... --off the mounting topic-- ... the bulge thing in the middle of the speakers were dented in, i managed to get them out but they still pop back in if i touch them. is this going to affect performance?

2 subs
1 amp
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
no the "thing" in the middle is just a dust cap youll be fine. what kind of car do you have? how much space are you willing to sacrifice?
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

i have a Chrysler Lebaron, 2 door, and i have a pretty big trunk.  theres a ridge along the side of the trunk that looks like a prime location for a sub, (do i have to blow it up against the wall of my car or can it just blow towards the center of the trunk??? ) 

the space i want to see if i can fit these speakers in is 12 inches across 10 inches deep and 16 inches high.  if this space isnt sufficent i can always just take up the whole trunk, but i think i might hate myself if i take up to much room.  (remember the subs are 10 inches across and they're 4 3/4 inches deep )

2 subs
1 amp
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
small sealed enclosure firing to the side or to the back. make it like .60 cu ft. or more depending on the sound you are looking for. if you want more punch keep it pretty small, whereas is you want deeper bass rolloff and freqs. make it a little bigger. dont go too big though cuz the driver will just flutter and sound terrible. so make it like between .60-.70. have fun.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

ok... what?  ill figure out how to make a sealed enclosure after i read about it on this site but what should the size be if its .60 cu ft?  (hight length deapth)

im going for loudness...

2 subs
1 amp
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
if you cant even tell us what type of subs they are, brand... i would strongly recomend taking your car to a shop, im not trying to say not to experement, but you need to have some knowledge before jumping into the wild world of 12 volt,    the power for a car battery can kill you very easily, of harm you gretly
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic