icon

Suggestions for mid-range components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offshore 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
I would like some ideas for speakers. I am not quite an audiophile but I really really like good sound, and unfortunately do not have the time it would take to do enough research to make a solid decision on my own.
I have a convertible that I want to have some decent sound in. The stock speaker locations are not good and I know I will not get stellar imaging using them and that is ok. Additionally I am trying to compromise and save a little money if possible. My goal is to have acceptable sound quality with the top down at 80mph.
I am not willing to do many modifications to the interior of the car. In the intereste of appearance and good sound I will be using an old Denon DCT-1000 as a head unit. A modest subwoofer will be the last priority. Have not chosen an amp yet as I want to buy that based on power requirements for the speakers. Right now I need help choosing components.
In the front kick panels there are currently 5.25" speakers. Doors house tweeters up near mirrors. Behind the seats beneath rollbars are 3" or 3.5" speakers (where I could easily fit some 4" speakers, 5.25 is possible but a tight fit).
Right now I am considering MB Quart Premium's but I don't know if I can do better in the price range, which is why I need help. I would consider the Infinity Perfect's but would rather not try to place such large speakers under my rollbars. Volume-wise I think a single pair would be adequate, but the rear speakers add a fair amount of "ambience" to the soundstage that I don't want to forsake.
All input is welcome. I unfortunately have too many things to do currently but cannot tolerate the horrible factory stereo any longer!
Steve
1998 BMW Z3 2.8
jae-rome 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
I would say go with Diamond Audio if you have the money go with like the HEX S500s if not their M6 series are really good as well. I installed the S500s for the front and the S600s and they sound awesome. I had the MB Quartz but to me the Diamonds are way better in sound quality, and they are decently priced for what the are
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
MB Quart is going to be your best bet in this vehicle. This is due to their off axis response from the tweeter. Off axis for you means that yuo will get good top end from the tweeter without the need of it pointing directly at you or mounted directly above or below or over the midbass driver. The pure titanium tweeter plays much cleaner to a much higher frequency. Top end is a highly directional sound and with a convertable or t-roof vehicle, top end is the first part of the audio spectrum that goes out the window. Lots of speakers sound good, and good sound is in the ear of the beholder. I too like Diamond and in fact am a dealer of both, but any time I am presented with a vehicle like yours, MB Quart is the way to go.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Use some MB Quart speakers like forbidden said and use a good external amp to power them. Even if you dont like your music loud an external amp will bring out the details in your music and produces a way cleaner sound then your head-unit would without distorting.
offshore 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replys. I will go ahead with the MB Quart's then. I have heard from several people about their "off-axis" performance, which I would welcome in a car like this. I know plenty about sound, just very little about the products that are out there, so I am glad to hear those speakers would be adequate.
The door tweeter location apparently houses a small and large tweeter (so everyone tells me). Would it be a good idea to use both pairs of tweeters that I would end up having and try to combine and aim them for better imaging?
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=70274
I would absolutely be using an amp, I have not bought one yet but probably a 4 channel PG. Thanks.
Steve
1998 BMW Z3 2.8
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Do not use both pairs of tweeters, use only the ones that come with the component set. Enjoy good sound.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
offshore 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Rob, I was referring to the tweeters from the two MB Quart pairs I will be buying (front and rear). I don't know if that would be a mess (I thought wiring in parallel might make it work?) or if you thought I meant using the junk OEM tweeters. Thanks for your help.
Steve
1998 BMW Z3 2.8

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic