icon

Can I put a trunk release in an Accent?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nikkicv 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Is it possible to install a power trunk release solenoid kit in 1999 Hyundai Accent L, which is a hatchback? I know you can on a typical trunk lock that pops with the turn of a key, but my Accent uses the key to lock/unlock a handle that is used to pop the hatch open. Kinda like a regular door lock I guess, but I haven't taken it apart to see what the mechanism looks like. Can anyone tell me if it's possible before I bother? I would really like the convenience when I'm lugging around my school books and gear for the gym.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Does your Accent have keyless entry? The first thing that I thought when I read this was "Doesn't the trunk just unlock when the doors are unlocked?" You know, sort of like a minivan?   But I guess if the trunk isn't hooked up to the keyless (or if you don't have keyless), then I would say YES, you can still install a kit to do it. In fact, I think it's easier in a hatch than a normal trunk because in a hatch (or the ones that I've done) the mechanism that you have to get to is on the body of the car, rather than on the trunk door (in non-hatch cars). Ok, was this comfusing enough? ;-)
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
nikkicv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

cpgoose,

No, my Accent did not have factory keyless entry. In fact, an Accent "L" is a stripped model - power nothing, 5-speed, no gauges - just idiot lights, and AM/FM stereo - no even with a clock!  It was what I could afford as the second hand cars kept taking chunks of my paychecks for little return on the investment!   I've since upgraded the sound system (that's what I do), tinted the rear windows (do that too), added a sunroof (left that to a pro at the shop I work at), installed a 2-door central locking system (did that myself), and just finished installing my very first alarm, a Viper, in it. Not exactly a car high on the theft list, especially where I live, but I wanted to work through an alarm install as practice as I'm hoping to move into stereo and alarm installs at work so I can get more hours in to help pay for my school.

No, you weren't confusing at all. I've torn the interiors out of dozens of vehicles for audio installs. The hatch on a Hyundai has the mechanism in the lid itself, and just a striker on the opening - not like the American hatchbacks. What I'm not sure of is a popper can work the type of latch the Accent has because it is handle operated, and not just popped with a key. Does that make sense? In other words I have to unlock the latch with a key in the lock cylinder, and then pull a handle to open the hatch.  I've never seen the mechanism up close to study how it works, and was wondering if anyone had done it. I don't want to ask the guys at my shop because I get enough crap for being the "cutesy girl" Can I put a trunk release in an Accent? -- posted image. and like to learn how to do things myself!

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

if you have a pull lever for a trunk release, follow that cable to the back and find somewhere with decent room to cut the cable and mount a trunk solenoid,  i got mine from DEI.  i decided to use this method, so the trunk cant be opened from the interior, only the remote and key.  the DEI part came with a switch and mount and extra wiring for installing a push button.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
hey nikkicv...ok, I understand a bit better what you're trying to do now. I still think it's doable with just a basic trunk pop kit. You can do what sroth410 said, or you can also just put the solenoid in the lid. I've done it a bunch of times. When you look at the mechanism, put the key in and turn it on the outside, while watching what happens to the mechanism from the inside. Then you just have to mimic that action with the solenoid.
nikkicv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys! My hatch does not have a remote release cable either... However, I took out the license plate light access panels last night to see what I could see. The mechanism looks pretty basic, and looks like if I can pull the rod that the manual handle pulls on I should be in business. It looks like there is a lot of room to work with too! I picked up a DEI 522T kit from work last night to get a feel for the size of the solenoid and how it mounts. Might take a shot at it on Friday! Wish me luck! LOL!
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds good....good luck. I put one in my dad's trunk that didn't have a button or release lever in the car to open the trunk (so he always had to use the key). It was tough because I've always worked with ones that had a cable, but it was still do-able. Good luck....let us know how it turns out.   Can I put a trunk release in an Accent? -- posted image.
nikkicv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

Final determination: trunk pop solenoid CANNOT be used on the hatchback!

The hatchback has a two stage latch, and also doesn't lift by itself so it cannot be "popped". However, a standard actuator can be used to operate the lock cylinder so all one has to do is grab the handle. Mounting is a snap (lots of room and a direct shot for the rod). There's even an arm on the latch you can tie an actuator rod to using a factory-style retainer clip. I tied mine into my central locking system, which is now alarm-controlled too, so the hatchback locks and unlocks with the doors. Loving the convenience.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
is ther room for a door popper????? you know like for shaved handles...its an option....did you take pics by chance so you can send them to people....if you have any send them to me i will post them on my site ....
thks
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
nikkicv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hi David,

I thought about a popper, but the way the hatch fits into the frame when closed there's no "easy" spot to mount one. Could make a bracket, but for me such a mount would probably be in the way because I use my hatch area heavily for carrying school books, tools, etc.

Probably the real choice install would be to replace one of the hydraulic lift struts with a linear actuator that would raise the hatchback when the latch was popped. Only took about 2 seconds for me to ditch that idea though after pricing an actuator with enough travel = $108 at cost compared to $5 for a 2-wire Autoloc pistol actuator! Can I put a trunk release in an Accent? -- posted image. No brainer for this poor college student.

Yeah, I took some photos while I installed it, but have to get them developed still because my digital camera sux at real close close-ups. Should be able to drop them off mid-week.

Thx

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic