icon

How Big of an Alternator Should I buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tnrplaya 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Before I get to my questions I'll provide as much background info as possible.

My System:

(1) PG limited edition Octane amplifier (this is basically (2) 400.2's, a 1farad cap, and a PG bass cube built into one chasis)--this runs fronts, and subs

(1) PG 400.2--this will run the rears

(1) APC 350w power inverter--powering a MS Xbox and other small device, camcorder, etc...

(1) Sony deck with 7" Motorized LCD [Xav-7w]

(2) 6.5'' visor LCD's

(1) IR repater system

My Car:

1998 Honda Accord EX Coupe (i4)

2.3L Vtec

90 amp stock alternator

1/0 awg runs for big 3 (to be installed)

My Purpose:

Daily driver with excellent sound. NO SPL competitons, NO listening for more than 5 min with the car off, NO shows etc...The system will probably rarely (if ever) be put on full strain. I do like loud music but I also enjoy hearing and I do not enjoy pain:) The inverter is going to be switchable (on/off) from the cabin and most times will be off.

This has all been acumulating in my closet and I hope to have the install complete by this summer

THE QUESTIONS:

1) How big of an alternator should I be looking for? Where should I purchase said alternator (who's are the most reliable)?

2) Should I run a second battery?

3) What should I use for my primary (and second battery if applicable)? Yellow top? Red top?

4) who makes a good, and affordable IR repater system?

Thanks in advance to everyone who advises me!

PG Limited Edition Octane Aplifier
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
tnrplaya wrote:
How big of an alternator should I be looking for?
Buy the alternator which provides the most current at idel, and that which provides usuable current in all normal RPM's.
Some units only provide their maximum current ratings at the extreme RPM's. Or those units which are rated at a cold state, and not actually at full operating temperature.
You should keep in mind that building an import power supply for a Honda / Acura is very difficult. Unlike domestics, the area which the alternator is situated is less than ideal for cooling.
So heat generation will be a major factor for you. You could have the unit rewound to produce the amount of current you require. But understand that unless all compoents are also upgraded, the unit will never allow you to have the same service life as a OEM unit.
tnrplaya wrote:
Where should I purchase said alternator (who's are the most reliable)?
This company shows alot of hope and promise on a great product . http://www.4alterstart.com Too bad their customer service and warranty are worth sh^t . . .
tnrplaya wrote:
Should I run a second battery?
Based on your previous statement. . . No
tnrplaya wrote:
What should I use for my primary (and second battery if applicable)? Yellow top? Red top?
The Yellow Top would be your first choice given what you have listed. The Yellow Top is a AGM deep cycle battery which can endure prolonged and deep depletions without ill affects on service life.
The Red Top battery is a SLI battery, and cannot withstand deep cycles. Doing so, will damage the battery and reduce the service life of the battery. The Red Top does however produce more CCA at start up.
The Yellow Top will recharge faster, due to a lower internal resistance, and will provide almost 97% of its current each time without reduced performance being noticed even when the battery is run down.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

about the only thing the red top is good for is starting power. i use a yellow top to start my car and a group 31 blue top for my second batt. i have a stinger sr-200 isolator to keep it separate when the cars off. i have an excessive amperage 200 amp alternator with an external regulator. its relayed to kick on full power at 700-800 rpm's (idle). im also putting out about 5,000 watts, so you wouldnt need to go that nuts.

what i would do is get your alternator rebuilt or buy another one. talk to this guy nate @ excessive amperage. www.excessiveamperage.com

overall an alternator upgrade is the best thing you can do for your electrican system, especially since your stock one is pussy sh*t.

Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic