icon

Kevlar 29

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

Would using kevlar 29 (balistic kevlar) work for creating bullet resistant door panels or sub enclosures. Don't even bother asking why I am just wondering if it would work. What i have read says that kevlar 29 is used in vests with lots of layers loose, but would it work stiffened in resin? how many layers would be needed to stop certain size bullets. Or if anyone knows the force of impact it can recieve, I am in physics and i think i could figure it out from that type of data.

Thanks

Gavin S.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
lol, i saw this kevlar was used on armor cars for celebrity on MTV.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
snakeeyes237 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think it would work very well if it were stiffened.  If you watch high speed video of a round striking a Kevlar vest, you can see that it works by "catching" the round.  Stiffening the Kevlar would definitely hurt its ballistic protection, however if you could find a place selling SpectraShield, that would work much better (but be prepared to spend a lot of money on that stuff)
loki_the_rascal 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
kevlar vest like the ones the military are using are not 'bullet proof" vests. They are actually in fact more of a shrapnel or fragmentation vest. Designed to stop a piece from a grenade or something along those lines. Most bullets (especially from high powered rifles or assault weapons) have to high of a velocity for the kevlar to stop. Cannot say that this holds true for every kevlar vest out there, just going on my experience when I was in USMC about 8 years ago
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
ok... so your gonna build a SEMI bulletproof car, yer still the man
snakeeyes237 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah most of the military still uses flak vests that have no ballistic protection, but now most of our expensive units (Recon, SEALs, Delta) are wearing lightweight vests that will stop a 5.56 round from as close as 25 meters.  Course those are only for our spec warriors that are well trained (read: lots of money spent on them) because those nice vests with all the accessories costs a buttload

devildogmech 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

Kevlar is a "reactive Fiber" it has to be loose inorder to work efectivly. If you resin it, it will still work, only, a whole lot less effectivly.

As for the flack jackts we wear in the Corps....

The new vests, with the balistic steal plate will stop s 7.62 round from a distance. Point blank...... i wouldnt want to try it. The vest with out the steel plate, will still provide protection from Flack, and is rated to stop handgun rounds point blank.

Bill

pspadotto 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

The first link below is to the website of a company that makes bullet proof cars, etc.  http://www.lascointl.com/doors/auto.htm

The next link is a pdf from the site showing how their "do it yourself" bulletproofing kit works (how freaking sick is that?)
http://www.lascointl.com/PDF/lascokits1.pdf
The final link is to the Kevlar website, in specific the page about car protection.
http://www.dupont.com/kevlar/lifeprotection/whatsyourthreat.html

Kevlar is an awesome invention.  They use needles and thread to sew the layers of fabric together, but bullets and shrapnel have a bitch of a time getting through, especially if there is a layer of material between the projectile and the kevlar to slow the velocity of the projectile down (like an armor insert, or a car door panel).

dD805 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

Speaking of ballistic protection, you may want to check this out:

http://www.ogara-hess.com/Frameset.html

dvd

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic