icon

Video Cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KnightTerror 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I hope this isnt a duplicate of any previous posts but I couldn't find any that could answer my questions about running video cables.

Ok, I am installing a new headrest LCD unit in my car.  Also, when I was looking around for video cables (I purchased the LCD by itself) I noticed that all the cables have a 75 Ohm resistance.  And finally, I notice that some of the cables are cheaper than others.  So here are my questions:

1)  What all should I avoid when running my video cables besides running them away from power?

2) Why are cables 75 Ohm?  Is there a better resistance to have, or is this resistance somehow important to video?

3) Finally, what would the result be if I used cheap video cables as opposed to more expensive ones?

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

-Knight
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
75 ohms has more to do with impedance than with resistance. Impedance is a reaction to an AC signal. All you need to know, in this case, is that the closer to 75 ohms, the better.
An excellent way to make high quality cables is to use RG-59 coaxial cable, the one they use for CATV, and good quality RCA connectors. If you can find rg-59 with RCA connectors, go for it.
If you don't want to bother soldering or crimping RCA connectors, buy the rg-59 with the standard F connectors, then use F to RCA adapters.
RG-6 cable, used in satellite setups, is even better, the downside is that it's less flexible than rg-59.
You can use the same technique to build audio cables.
You will have excellent cables that will give those outrageously-priced products a   
run for their money.
Good Luck!
videoviking 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
to further add to the last reply, we have a saying in the video industry that you pay for the quality that you get.  As stated above, use the RG-59 if you can, but look for one with a full shield versus a wrap.  Also, it would be well worth the extra few cents to buy the most flexible cable that you can get for the runs down the seat and under the carpeting.

Check Markertek Supply  http://markertek.com/ they are the braodcast house that we use and you can find good deals on cable and connectors.

Chuck Johnston
KnightTerror 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help guys (and gals?).  I didn't even think about making my own.  That is a good money saving tip.

Thanks again!

-Knight

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic