icon

Viper 791XV Range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uncpaul728 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I put a Viper 791XV in my 2001 Tacoma and the Range doesn't seem that Great.  I mounted the antenna to the rear view mirror so location's not a problem.  Transmiting sucks, it receives a good distance Transmiting is like 150 to 200 feet.
jgold47 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
most new dei systems have been getting terrible range....make sure the antenna is uncoiled, run it back and forth around the headliner, but it seems to want to be as uncoilied as possible...
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm, did you shorten the antenna cable or bundle it? Is the mirror a plain-jane mirror or does is it a compass/temp mirror? Do you have a radar detector; cell antenna; or, gps, satellite or automatic toll transceiver near it? All of these items will reduce range.
Contrary to jgold47's statement, I've had nothing but terrific experience with the range and reliability of DEI's newer equipment. I cannot say I can get a reliable 0.25-mile range claimed, but definitely reach it and do reliably achieve about 600 feet (office to parking garage) in both my personal vehicles with Responders. Have had no range complaints from the freelance installs I do either, but I also install switch-backs for excess antenna wire above the headliner or under the carpet. I've been told the antenna wire can be successfully shortened at the connectors, but I have no personal justification in buying the mini-crimper and terminals needed. They can be bought from Digi-Key though. Also, if any of my customers have any of the above-mentioned accessories, I make sure to mount the antenna as far from them as possible (at least a foot). Often times this is on the rear window at the bottom trim. In your truck, you might find that a better location is in the center of your windshield at the dash top. Easy way to use excess wire in that case is to run it up the driver's A-pillar, across and under the headliner, back down the passenger's A-piller, and along the dash to it's mount. HTH!
jgold47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

you should check out dei's installer forum on the dealer site....all it is is ripping on the ranges....they have had field techs out checking major markets for interference on the 433mhz channels and sh*t...its pretty bad....

geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe that's why --> no personal experience in DEI's major markets = highly populated/congested cities (I'm rural America). Wouldn't be surprised by decreased range in those areas though because of 1) structures and 2) the prevalent use of 433MHz in all sorts of wireless devices. Obviously not knowing where uncpaul728 is from, but guessing it was UNC by his handle, I figured he should check the things I mentioned...
However, jgold47, it's probably a case of DEI's engineers not doing their homework because this is not new for 433MHz gear! In fact, Europe has been there, done that - a full decade ago! You should be able to find a boat-load of information by doing a google search for "RAKE Committee" (I spent 5 years living overseas and I'm an automotive EE by career). Perhaps the FCC ties DEI's hands too.
tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
 i talked to jose at crimestopper an was complaning about range with their 2 way systems and he said that dei had the patent or something on all usa branded systems and the range is limited to about 600 feet DOES DEI think they are god of something  
tj
jgold47 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

geotexz71 wrote:
However, jgold47, it's probably a case of DEI's engineers not doing their homework because this is not new for 433MHz gear! In fact, Europe has been there, done that - a full decade ago! You should be able to find a boat-load of information by doing a google search for "RAKE Committee" (I spent 5 years living overseas and I'm an automotive EE by career). Perhaps the FCC ties DEI's hands too.

sounds like a case of dei getting too big for their britches.....best company around for like 4-5 years, now I am seriously considering changing my opionin....between the range issues the new units have, the new components they used for this year, and the terrible customer/tech service they have been giving....its enought to make me go back to codealarm or one of those untill this all shakes out.....

95stangw 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Im very new here, but i just finished installing the viper 791xv on my mustang and i must say that i get outstanding range, I do live in a congested city(chicago). I park my car about a block and half away from my job and im still able to get communication from the basement of the building. I also tested it out in the open and it works from at least 1000 feet .
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
go to best buy and order the extended range antenna for an upgrade.  its $19.99.  it is being supplied to best buy stores to settle customer issues with avital (DEI) remote start range.  as soon as the company seens enough demand for them they will stock them on the shelf.  but until then they have to be ordered, only takes about 3 days.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
ah crap, the 791xv is a responder isnt it?  well. i got nothing for ya then other than check how/where the antenna wire is ran.  make sure is isnt bundled up somewhere and ziptied together.  but for the rest of the people out there with avital hornet, wasp... ect, you might want to check out that antenna.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic