icon

2 subs in one box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fastev 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

I am getting a couple new subs, Phoenix Gold Tantrum-X 10's.  I plan on building a fiberglass enclosure, but my question is, should I build two seperate chambers into the box?  Or is it okay to have one large volume for both.  Here's my plan...   I want to build it to fit in the back of my 2002 Ford Ranger Edge.  I already know the dimensions for the box.  According to PG, each sub needs 0.7 cu. ft. for sound quality in a sealed enclosure.  That includes the sub.  I want to mount the subs with the basket and magnet on the outside of the box.  Is there any difference in doing that in terms of sound?  I know that I could make it slightly smaller with the sub on the outside firing in.  My amp is a Phoenix Gold XS2500.  It puts out about 600 watts at 2-ohms bridged.  Would I also need a more powerful amp for this install?  Thanks for any help!

--Evan

technodigifreak 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
you HAVE to isolate each speaker to get good SQ, you can fire one sub into another using a special box design--but its not worth it because you don't get any spl return on that setup
Hot-Modder
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
"fire one sub into another" if your refering to isobarics, you do get effictive spl in return. using a isobaric setup the box is effectively twice the actual size it is. but you only get the output you would if you had only one sub. isobaric is only used when space is a issue or when you are trying to achieve very low signals with larger subs.
Quad L Handyman services
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
It is always best to build seperate chambers for your drivers. As if one fails it will completely isocolated from the other.
I believe what he is refering to is inverting his subs not an isobarics setup. I'm not sure what difference in sound this will make... but judging by what you have said your after SQ so i think you might just be best mounting them as normal.
fastev 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

I guess I should have described that better.  I am not looking to mount them in an isobacic setup.  I would like to invert them, I just like the way it looks more than anything else.  Thanks everyone!  Anymore info is appreciated...

--Evan

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
yes you can, it's not a great idea for the safety of your subs. my buddy is running 4 15's in one air space sounds real good. make sure you only send a MONO signal to them. and make sure your enclosure is strong and will not flex.
Big Dave
turbo5upra 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

I was always under the impretion for sq to build a common chamber sealed box with muliple sub's. Reason being this correct's any differences in the build of the 2 sub's, and also allows for no  differences in box size.

As far as running one while the other goes to the shop...... Good Product almost never has to go back 2 subs in one box? -- posted image.

just my $0.02

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic