building a budget sq system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbo5upra 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

First off thanx for the help guys.

intro, i have done about 5 systems in my supra over the past few year's alway's sound good but never completely finished. It's time to do the final install

Head unit, Think i am going to buy a alpine 7969.

Component's. the door's have boxes from the factory, which have 4's stock... i ran a set of polk db 3045's..... sounded good but lacked lowerend mid bass, i was using a soundstream 604 to power those. nice and clean but still lacked low end

The later years came with 6.5's in the door's, however they where free-air. it is rather easy to seal these, so i am going to run either a set of polk db 3065's or a pair of soundstream exact 6.3's. The amp will either be a Soundstream class A, or a lil wonder, depending on budget this spring

Now the trouble comes in with, i want to run a pair of old school Soundstream USA 8's,  duel 4 ohm's,  i would like a little low end, could i acheive this by running one in a seal box and one in  a bandpass. or should i just use them both in  a sealed box?

Oh, can't forget the amp.... thinking a Soundstream Angina for 2 sealed or 2 Angina's for bandpass/sealed, I know they arent sq amp's but.......building a budget sq system - Last Post -- posted image.

I do have a Epx2 i am selling, that i could use if i go with the bandpass/sealed combo

Thanx for the advice

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
The old school USA 8's are a great sub, do not use them in bandpass, they do not like it too much. It is also not a good idea at all to mix box types with the same drivers. They will work in a sealed box or a ported enclosure. The ported enclosure will play nice and deep and a little loud, I personally liked these subs in a sealed enclosure of 1cu.ft. I would not recommend the Angina amps (nice amp though), I would recommend a LIL Wonder 2 channel if you can find one. It's still nice and small but has a little more power to run these 2 subs in 4 ohm mono. The angina is a mono amp right now that while it will work, will underpower these subs drastically. It doesn't sound like you want a ground pounder (thank goodness) but have a closer look at the sub amp I recommended, it will be a little easier on the amp to power these subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic