Fiberglass ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Gumbya4 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

I'll try to explain the best I can.

I'm worried about the pressure of the sub breaking the box. I am not running very much power bridged peak 480 and it is only a 10 RFosgate HE2. And I don't listen too loud. How easy does the box break. My main concern is where the fleece wraps onto the fiberglass. The actual glass is pretty thick so I'm not worried about that. I let it dry and I will lay a layer of glass over the fleece and dried fiberglass where they meet to reinforce. Should I add more than one layer or is there other ideas or should I not even be worried because it will not pull apart there?
Sorry this is kinda vaugue. Thanks for your help.
Also how strong should it be?  It is solid except for a larger verticle spanse.  I have to push hard but it moves just a little bit.  It was pretty thick fleece and 1 layer of glass mat.  I used a lot of resin too. 

Do you think this is good or add another layer?

„h "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Flaredse 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

dude unless you want to be vacuuming out fiberglass from every crevice iin your car. You need to "ATLEAST" have 4 layers of medium thickness fiberglass mat. Dont even worry you can put it all on at once or if your not that skilled take two different times to do it. Apply first layer...let it really soak up the resin then apply the second....soak it...the third...soak it..then the fourth... This is the case if you already have a mold made out of fleece thats already cured (hardened).

Check out alpine.com and go to dem vehicles...then go to installation picks of either the civic or the acura. They really go into to depth and the pics are great.

qlm
Gumbya4 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

Well that's good to know.   I already layed one layer of glass over the fleece.  I'll add a few more tonight.  And no I would not like to vacuum my trunk.

Thanks for your help.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

Layering fiberglass turns our really strong. Layer your enclosure, and you will be fine. Make sure you have put the glassing in your fiberglass...

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
from what I see and hear.. glassing the inside rather then the outside is better. Easier to sand the fleece, then the fiberglass itself
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
When in doubt add more glass. I make my enclosures strong enough to jump on. Any flexing will result in lost output.
Gumbya4 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

iaudio wrote:
When in doubt add more glass. I make my enclosures strong enough to jump on. Any flexing will result in lost output.

I added 3 more layers last night.  I think it will finally be done.  Just a few steps left.

Here are some pics of the project

Fiberglass ? -- posted image.

It will be carpeted to match the interior.  The amp is currently mounted to the deck lid but I will move it this summer. 

Thanks for your help.  I should be able to finish it tonight after work.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic