and a RF Power 110 x 4 watts rms thats 24db Hp/LP crossover

is the 24db better , louder  etc????

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=roc801x&store=&catid=306

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=roc851x&store=&catid=306

mark241 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
what it means is that the slope of the crossover is steep than the 12 db. For each consecutive octave up or down depending on if it is set on high or low pass you will lose 12 db or 24 db depending on which one you buy. The 12 db is less abrupt than the 24db. Frequencies after (low pass) the crossover setting will be a little louder with the 12 db than with the 24. I hope this helps a bit.   
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
 There is usually a couple of differences in these amps, one is warranty for us in Canada, 1yr. vs. 2 yr. The second difference is the power supplies, the Power series amp has a larger power supply to handle difficult loads with more precision and capabilities. A 24db slope on the crossover is usually referred to as a brick wall filter, nothing gets by it that is not supposed to. Sound does not end magically at the crossover point, it is rolled of gradually, either at 12db per octave in this case or 24 db per octave. Imagine that you are doing stopping tests in a car. Car one takes 200 feet to stop from 100mph. Car two takes 150 feet to stop from 100 mph. Both cars do the same speed, both cars are identical, the only difference is the braking system, one can stop quicker than the other from the same point in which the brakes are applied. In this case the brakes are the crossover and as the sound is rolled off above or below the crossover point, which is the stopping line from 100mph. One of the guys, probably Dyohn will post up the tech side of it, but I'll let you get the basic understandings from this. I personally use 24db slopes on all of my systems designed for sq.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Rob.  Here's my technical input on this one;  You said it!  12db or 24db octave? -- posted image.  No need for anything else.
kure 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
so go with the 24db then?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
That would be a good move!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
A 12 db slope will let more upper bass content pass through.  A sub that fires directly into the listening environment is most likely to benefit from a 24 db/octave slope. 
kure 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

yeh but that amp will be playin midrange an highs no bass

a jbl600 will play bass

so in that case will it make a big difference the 12db slope is cheaper

kure 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

and is teh difference in SQ noticable

TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

If you use a 24db for hp filters, it will limit bass and you can play increased volume with less distortion.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic