icon

dmm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
asab16 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

Great web page guys. I love cars so I thought I start this as a hobby. My question guys is the DMM. I usually seen guys use a test light to make out wires for remote start installation. The forums and many others mentioned test lights damaging   sensitive equipment. I have a DMM, but two problems only know how to measure ohms. Anyway could someone please tell me how to use the DMM in replacement of a test light. My hypothesis is that the black (Grd) lead hooks up to the chasis of the car and the red lead goes to the wire for readings. Anyway Could somone please help out, really appriciated

Oh and one more thing I have a spdt relay.....its 5vdc,5a@30vdc,69 .40hms.......is this good for changing + trigger to a - trigger or vice a versa.....could someone tell me what to look for in regards to relays.

kkid 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
You're on the right track... To use a DMM, you would just hook up the (-) lead to a good ground, (as you would with the test light clip) and probe the circuit with the (+) lead. The reading you get on the DMM display is the result of the status of the circuit you're testing. Let's say you're checking a wire for voltage, with a test light, you'll connect your (-) clip to a ground and probe the wire with your test light. If the test light lights up, you have voltage in that wire. if you used a DMM, you'd attach the (-) lead to a ground and test the wire with the (+) lead, then you read the display and you'll know exactly what that wire's voltage potential is: 0V, 12V, 13V, etc....
the DMM is a much more accurate tool than a simple test light and it can also measure current by putting it in series with a circuit.
I don't understand your relay question. What exactly do you want to do with the relay?
asab16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply KkID. I picked up a relay at a electronic store just looked for SPDT,  I picked up a 5VDC, 5A @ 30VDC,69 40 OHM. What relay in specific should one use when using in the install projects, since its so widely used that was my question? My relay has 5 pins but does not look like the ones in the diagram with 87a 85 86....I have a Normally closed (N/C) Normally Open (n/o) one common and two contacts for the coil.....but the overall setup of the pins is not identical to those in the Schmatics. I have a doubt my relay is not right for the purpose of auto electronics. Could you confirm this. Basically where can I get a Relay from and exactly what is the specifics of the relay u guys use?

One last thing when doing readings in replacement of test lights where should the dial be? For example at ohm or DCV or ACV or DCA. Sorry for the dumb questions but I have minimal experince with DMM.

Guys thanks 4 all the help. I know it may not be a challenging topic I posted but once I start rippin some cars open. I will offically join the party!!!!!

dmm -- posted image.

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

well if you want to test for direct current volts... set it to DCV,  if you want alternating current volts... set it to ACV....

as far as the relay goes, that one sucks.  for anything automotive you should use a bosch 12v, 30amp, 5 terminal SPDT relay.  that way you can use it for something simple like driving a trunk pop or something high current like a 2nd starter or ignition or + trigger doorlocks....

kkid 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
as sroth140 said about the DMM. The dial should be set to whatever you're measuring. You'll normally be using the Vdc setting when testing for voltage on cars. If you're troubleshooting the house electrical system, you'd use Vac. If you're testing for resistance, set it to Ohms (Ω). If you testing for current, set it to amps. There should be two Amp settings, one for ac current, one for dc current. DC current is the setting you'd normally use on your car. just be careful with your dial settings - when the meter's set to ohms, it doesn't like to test voltage. Same thing for the other settings, otherwise, you'll either blow the meter's fuse or even damage the meter itself.
On the relay, sroth140 is right and you can pick one up at any auto parts store
Hope this helps.
asab16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks kkid and sorth140.....I picked up the relay as mentioned @ a local automotive store. As for the DMM, I got the hang of it.. I am practicing on a 94 Buick Century so far so good. Last problem now is getting a Remote starter Brain and all the extras. Best Buy wants u to get it installed by them if u buy the remote starter. Could someone please tell me a place where I can pick one up. I am looking for a clifford or viper or Nordic something that reps. quality. If u guys have something else in mind great!!!! 

Lasty guys I am going to do a 2nd install on a 95 buick lesabre, that already has key less entery and power trunk options from the Factory....can I get the remote starter keyless and the Factory keyless to work together? Do I have to scrafice one for the other or can I keep both?  Oh one more thing whats a trumpit, U can use it instead of a Resistor. I know what a resistor is, just this trumpit I maybe spelling it wrong.

Thanks Guysdmm -- posted image.

Asab16

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
best buy sell a do-it-yourself DEI remote starter for like $60 bucks.  youll need atleast two relays if you want to do door locks.  i think it has an onboard relay for + parking lights tho.  i think its a hornet 871T or 817T, something like that.  basically its the same as the avital 4000 that sits next to it on display for $160, except it doesnt have the markup on it for the included labor.
asab16 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys 4 the reply..............hmmm wanted to know about TACH........tach is to measured in AC......could any damage occur if it was measured in DC......by accident.

lastly.............Chryslers have multi COIL.............so I only have one Tach on the Remote starter Module. how about do go around this....just hook up only of the coils? Somtimes as well u probably have to go for the Injector pump..(GRND) does that have the same measuring technique as Coil....using DMM..........TACH u measue by setting AC on the DMM and checking to see if the Voltage goes up when u press the GAS........what about the Injuectors on the Chrysler dodge 1996 up Caravans and the Cirrus?

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic