icon

SQ: Diamond Audio VS Alpine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone tell me how the sound quality of the Diamond Audio TDX or TDH's or whatever it is, compares to the sound quality of the nicer Alpine subs.  I've listened to each before, but never side by side or even in the same week.  I like the diamond audio's, and i know there and spl sub, do the alpines sound cleaner?

TDean 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
If you can afford the best, then buy one of the best.  The Diamonds will hand the Alpines their a##.
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

I'm aware that the hit hard, but hows the sq?  The only time i've heard the diamonds was at this shop that had all there subs in these really small, thin fiberglass enclosures, and turned 1/2 way up the distorted, all of there subs.  Getting plenty of power, but not too much, they all distorted.  All I know is at 1/2 volume they were a lot louder than the eclipse aluminums, so thats sayin a lot. 

TDean 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Like a lot of people will tell you, trust your ears.  If its worth anything, the sensitivity of the diamond audios is higher and the power handling is better.  I think.... and yes they do sound good.  There are many other fine alternatives in the price range of the two.  With the right enclosure and power, you wont be dissapointed in the DA's. 

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
I agree. Although i havent personally head the TDX's, i have heard their m3's and m6's, and in my opinon they sound much better then alpine type r's. Thats hard for me to say, cuz i am an alpine fan too. lol. I used to have 2 type r's. they were great, but if i had the choice, i'd go with the Diamonds.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
are they really better than the eclipse?
TDean 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Also, the tdx is a pretty serious sub.  You will need plenty of power.  I'm thinking a conservative 1000 watts rms.  The M5 or M6 would be about right for me.  I would even consider the entry level cm3.  Just run the numbers....if your into that.  Make sure the enclosure you wish to run is a good match for a particular sub.  If you want sound quality, learn about Qtc,Fs, Qes, Qts and how they relate to each other.  I know I missed others like bl and Vas and many more.  I try not to rely on a spec sheet, but a lot can be learned with it.  After all, most of the specs are probably estimates that will give you a good idea of what it will do in certain applications.  To me, inside a bricks and mortar shop is not a good comparison of what a speaker will be capable of.  Very seldom do you ever know what all the variables are.  The shop can tell you whatever they want.  Sometimes if you do read the specs, you usally know more about it than the dealer.  A good shop might be able to put a demo in your car, if all they have to do is plug and play.  Circuit City has been known to do that.  But last I heard, they didn't carry Diamond Audio.  Alpine and others.  Just my rambling two cents.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
hey devils. its like dean said. trust ur ears man. its a matter of preference. there are soo many little things that can make one sound better than the other. but, from what i have heard they are neck and neck, but the tdx is better. With subs like that, does it really matter though? lol.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  

not that im defending them, but circuit city does sell alpine...but i dont remember ever seeing diamond there!

TDean 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Devilsquid, I wouldn't say that.  Mainly because I cant afford to even sneak up on an eclipse, but I have never heard their titaniums.  He referred to alums as being not as loud.  But like I said before, you can never know all the variables.  SQ and loud are two different things.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic