icon

RS Ignition 12v constant fuse blowout

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tianlihu 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

I have some question about the Ignition switch constant 12v wires which I experienced twice fuse blowout when installing the remote starter on the cars.

1. At one time, when I was going to install the ez-start-25 remote starter on toyota camry 2002,  when checking the ignition harness, I found there was two constant 12v wires there, one small size, one large size (WHITE/ Red). Because the remote unit has two constant 12v wires. I connected these  two wires to the ignition +12v wires. One to the small wire, One to the large wire. after every wires got connected, when I pressed the remote button, the car's fuse blown out.(smal wire's fuse). After I replaced the fuse, this time, I connected remote starter's two +12 wires to the large wire(WHITE/ red). and remote started the car, The car started with no problem.

2. At another time, I installed the Impulse 4040 remote starter/alarm combo module on plymouth voyager 96. this car's ignition harness also has two +12v wire. one red , large size(about 12-10 gauge), one pink/black , small size ( about 18-16 gauge). Because the experience I had before. I connected two remote starter's +12v wire to the red wire (large one). and remote started the car, the car's 40 amp fues blown out.

I have some question as follow:

1.I have checked the Impulse 4040 module, the two +12v wires actually connect to each other inside the remote starter unit. ( ez-start-25 not checked yet), but these two wires have fuse.  I also checked the car's wiring , the small +12 pink/black wire seems get connected to the accessory wire when the key turns to the on (ignition)position. the question is when the +12 supply source from two different size wires, If the remote unit draw the current from each wire equally or differently ( large wire draw more current than the small wire)?

2. When the car's ignition harness have two(or three) +12v wires with different size, and the remote starter usually have two same size wires( get connected together or different circuit). what is the best connection between  the ignition harness +12 wires and the remote starter's two +12 wires?

Any explanation of the situation described above appreciated.

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

for remote start and alarm connects, always solder and tape with nothing less than 3m 33+ tape.  its like $4 a roll but man its worth it.  the 02 camry has two ignition wires (BLACK/ red, and BLACK / YELLOW second ign), and one accy wire, blue.  if you want, you can use just the larger WHITE/ red 12v wire.  take the two red remote start wires and strip one back about half way, then cut the second one off just pass the strip in the first, then wrap the second over the bare spot, solder/tape it.

even if te wires are connected in the brain, its best to hook them both up.  thats why the manufacturer put them there.  most commonly the 12v wires have 30amp fuses.  so technically the brain could pull 60 amps in order to do its job.  if you only use one wire, it will blow.  the second wire prevents that.  most GM vehicles have two 12v wires, so use them.  if there is only one like on the camry, just connect both wires together and wire it to the factory wire.  think about it, if there is only one factory 12v, then the key uses that to engage the starter... so why cant the remote start.  remember, the remote start has to draw whatever current the starter motor needs to crank the engine.  unless the starter wire from the ignition triggers a relay elseware.

tianlihu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, I agree with you. but my point is, sometimes,  there are two +12 wires on the ignition harness with different size(like the ones I mentioned above), that implicate the large wire withstand more current than the small one. Should I connect two remote starter red wires to both of them( one for large, one for small)(02 camry fuse blow), or just connect two red wires to the larger one( 96 voyager fuse blow)?

02 camry has the other small  +12v wire beside the RED / white 12v wire, I don't know what it use for. 96 voyager has the small pink/black wire seems for Acc.

Thanks

derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

check the factory fuse rating  for the wire you want to attach to.

60 amps is a lot of juice.

for the 96 caravan, don't use the red power wire, use the pink/black. bad things happen when the factory red blows its fuse.

tianlihu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
How to know which fuse is for which 12v wire on the ignition harness if I don't have any car schematics at hand?
tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

if you are not sure go to a. battery or b. the feed to the fuse box on toyotas it is a 6ga BLACK/ green and is fused at i think 80 amps

the worst car was the rav4 the ig wire is only fused at 10 or 15 amps bad news

tj
tianlihu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

Suppose the car's ignition harness two 12v wires are fused at  50 amps and 10 amps, respectively. If I connect two remote starter's constant 12v red wire(fused at 30 amps each) to these two wires ( one to 50 amps wire, one to 10 amps wire). Do you think If the 10 amps wire would blow out? 

Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic