icon

Creating MDF frames, how to cut the MDF

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I have read a lot on here how to do speaker rings, and if I have to do a perfect circle, I can do that no problem now, But I am trying to do frames for my LCD, 6x9's and a few other things, including the frame for the dash so that I can stretch the felt overtop of it.

I tried a jig saw, cutting just a little bit bigger than the lines I drew out, then sanding it down, but this is a huge pain in the ass, it took me about 2 hours just to get the 6x9's perfect.

What can I use to cut these designs out perfectly? I dont care if it is a hand tool or a power tool, just as long as it isnt 2 hours of hand sanding.

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

Creating MDF frames, how to cut the MDF -- posted image.

I am talking about cutting out somn like this

staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
To cut stuff like that perfectly you'd have to be really damn good with a jig.... OR do what they do and use table tools, stuff like a table mounted router. The pro's use all the prefection tools. Now from my experience cutting small frame pieces is best done the something like a rotozip, a high speed rotary tool like that can be tricky to learn how to make good cuts, but once you learn to control the beast the really make some excellent cuts. Well, thats my take on this stuff.
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have used a roto zip a few times, but I find it only works if you are doing curves.. it works awesome for curvs but I find damn near impossible for straight lines. What table tool are good? a band saw? That is the only thing that I can think of. thanks
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
A bandsaw with a thin blade or a scroll saw would work.
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
i use a rotozip and a circular saw for most of my stuff...just my thoughts...
Autos4U 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Here is how I set my shop up. Kinda messy, I am cleaning now actually, just took a break.

It is kinda tight, but it still functions. I use every tool very frequently except for the bandsaw. I think I need a different blade, it doesn't like to cut curves in MDF that is any thicker than 1/4". So I usually use the jigsaw then put the piece on the disc/belt sander table and shape it out.

I do wish I had room for a table saw though. My Vertical panel saw is the BOMB, but you can't cut angles on it.

The routers tables are by far the most useful pieces, especially after you start accumulating jigs.

Just my .02

TuckCreating MDF frames, how to cut the MDF -- posted image.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
most of the framing pieces are cut with a jig saw. if you have a belt sander with a coarse paper on it that works well. or a scroll saw for more intricate shapes. you can also take thinner strips of MDF and brad nail them in the curves you need and router them on the router table. then you have a jig and can make that curve over and over and it will be the same every time
_dizz_ 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

One of the most used items in my shop is the drum sander, but until bough that I used a drum sander bit in my drill press.

soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys, I am not sure how the router tables work for this though, dont they just route channels in wood, or bevel edges?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic