icon

Wiring Harness help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xclusivex 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hello, im trying to install a new stereo in my girlfriends 2001 Olds Alero, i can't seem to find a wiring harness that fits.. at first i purchased a 70-2001 from a local car audio shop.. it was for GM cars 1998 and up, completely different connector, second i tried a Saturn wiring harness for 2000+ models.. i believe it was a 70-2000 or 70-2002.. the connector fit but i dont believe the pins matched up correctly because after all the wiring was done the radio did not work... if anyone has an Alero or knows the solution to my problem it would be greatly appreciated, thank you

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
Most new GM's don't have the ignition turn on wire in the factory harness anymore. You may need to run the ignition lead from your aftermarket radio (most likely the red wire) to the ignition wire (pink @ the ignition switch) in the car. Be sure to test all wires but here's a quick way to test this. First cut the red wire from your radio harness from whatever you have it connected to. Then verify that the yellow wire in your radio harness has constant power. Temporarily jump the red wire to the yellow wire and the radio should work. If so, then as stated you need to run that red wire to the ignition/accessory wire in the car. Also if you are connecting any of the orange dimmer wires cut them apart don't hook them up.. Give it a shot see what happens.. Good luck,
Mike
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
You are my lord and savior.. my own personal jesus christ... your little trick worked.. i jumped the red wire to the yellow and everything worked like a charm.. except the radio would not shut off, im not to knowledgeable on automobile electrical.. where can this pink ignition wire be found? am i going to have to rip apart the dash to locate it? or is there a spot in or near the factory harness that i can just rig up.  also.. what i dont understand, if the factory radio will turn on and shut off along with the cars ignition switch then how is the wire not run to the factory harness? that just doesnt make sense to me.  Thanks again
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
also i forgot to ask would the VT-GMRC-01 harness correct this issue? i have a local car audio shop special order the part for me.. and if it would be easier to use this harness ill just wait untill tuesday.. however if i still have to run the ignition wire ill just cancle the order..
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Your vehicle probably has a class II databus system. It is best to use the proper harness for this vehicle, a head unit relocation harness like the GM06 manaufactued by scosche ( www.scosche.com) or others will be the best bet. The reason your deck does not turn off with the key is due to the wiring system of the vehicle. In this case the factory deck will turn off when the drivers door is opened and keys removed.

The pink wire is usually a larger guage wire that comes from the ignition tumbler and follows down the steering column. It is usually found with a whole pile of other sire of similar and smaller sizes. It may be wrapped in black tape or heavy black split loom. To find this wire the bottom portion of the drivers side of the dash should be removed to give you the best access.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
most gm harnesses for the ignition have a bunch of wires that look kind of pink too. connect to the pinkest one.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  
I went to www.scosche.com and looked at the gm06, not a very good pic but it does look like its the same type of connection, The harness that i used was the GM04, the GM05 looks like it would also fit, possibly the GM03 also, the GM06 looks hella complicated, is there a reason there are so many wires there? how would i even begin to hook that thing up? I know the saturn wiring harness works for the constant and the ground. along with the speakers the only wire that isnt in the harness is the ignition wire which was first stated by "nowyouknow".. i was just wondering if there was actually a harness i could buy that i wouldnt have to run a lead to the pink ignition wire such as the  VT-GMRC-01 which is labeled in the metra application guide. if thats possible i would do my happy dance for you all right now, thanks...
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
Cancle that.. the GM03 looks like the thin and skinny harness that i origionally tried, but the GM04 and GM05 are a definite match
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
The ignition switch in your car should be on the dash itself right to the left of the radio cavity correct? If so, look through the radio cavity and you can see your ignition wire harness right there which will have the thick pink ignition lead in it. Your going to connect the red wire off of your aftermarket radio harness to that pink wire. The harness will be all taped up so you'll have to get the tape off..I'm not familiar with the other kits you listed but I'm sure they will work as well if they are for your application. Good luck,
Mike
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
So regardless of which harness i get im going to have to run the red wire to the ignition? i was just hoping to avoid that trouble because my girlfriend is throwing a hissy fit about me tearing apart her new car. figured maybe there would be an easier way so i didnt have to listen to her complaining.. thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic