icon

How do you mount a capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2002 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got a cap, but how do you mount it.  Right now I have it sitting in the spare tire with stuff around it so it won't move.   I've seen some "holders" online, but they seem expensive for something that wasn't that expensive in the first place.  Is there any "custom" way to do this?  Buy a pipe holder from Home Depot or something?  (I already checked, they didn't have the right size).
enuro12 
Copper - Posts: 31
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2002 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hey if your not going for pretty use two big zip straps!!!!!!! Its a different loot too i suppose=)

Chuck,
tech junky
Ryan1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2002 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
I am suprised it didnt come with mounting brackets.  I haven't seen one yet that didn't have any? What brand is it?  Well the ever so useful Hook and loop fasteners.....otherwise known as Velcro may suit your needs....or.....  You could get some 3/8" or 1/2" MDF and a small piece of carpet and make a simple little home, mount it lying down on it's side and cut the MDF to it's length and width. then carpet that little sucker up, stick it down in there nice and snug,  make sure you leave room for the wiring at the top of the cap.  Just some suggestions.
           Ryan
-=SoundStream Junkie=-
Parkin' Lot Pimpin' 4 Life
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2002 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
both of my Lightning caps came with a pair of brackets for mounting the caps.
Be SURE that cap doesn't touch ANYTHING metal in that spare tire well! If that cap shorts, it can explode, and doing so can actually catch your car on fire quite easily. a 1Df cap has enough potential energy stored within it to blow the windows out of the car if it does discharge it's electrolytic fluid.
Anyway you can build your own holder for it with fiberglass, or shape one from wood. Backstrap works if you can get the stuff.. it's an installers best friend, next to "dumdum" (that black gummy stuff)
Otherwise mount it right next to the amplifier, and secure it there so it doesn't short to anything.
One of my caps actually has a plastic shielded distribution-cap that fits on the top. 4 4AWG inputs, and 6 8AWG outputs as a pass-through distro block. It's sweet. Even has special screw-bolts for a flat-voltmeter on top. This way I can easily wire my second cap to the first in parallel, and still use it as a pass-through adapter for the cap. Then I'm going to fiberglass a rack for the 2 amps, and caps, along with the crossover and some other toys.
Just some ideas there
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Paperfish 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2002 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
easiest way, use 2 hose clamps to mount it to an L-bracket
bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2002 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

Once again if your not worried about looks, just use Zips ties.

werd

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic