icon

RMS power for CDT-61a's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jwshardbody 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

I am wondering if a US acoustics USX2050 (50W rms X 2) would be enough power for a set of CDT-61a's (90W rms),    or would a US acoustics USX2150 (150W rms X 2) be a better choise, ( being very careful w/ gain settings),............. I am planning on having two 12's or 15's w/ around 1000W rms soon, and want the front speakers to be able to keep up,

This for a Nissan reg. cab P/U, 12's 0r 15's will be in a ported wall inside a fiberglass canopy, firing thru the rear window of the cab.................

Thanks for any and all input,............. I have almost figued out the way I want to go w/ all this,..............LOL

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go for a US Acoustics 2080 for the CDT's.  But no matter what they will not "keep up" with two 12s or 15s driven by 1Kw ported into a truck cab!!!  But an 80 watt amp is a good choice for the speakers.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

With an amp too small it is easy to send it into clipping = smelly speaker. With an amp that is too big it can heat the speakers voice coil too easy = smelly speaker. At least with the amp that is too big, the gain can be left as low as possible, coupled with proper crossover point in order to prevent smell speaker. Just because the speakers say 90 w rms does not mean that they need that much power. The higher unclipped signal you can give the amp, the easier it can make clean power at all volume levels and the lower the chance of noise entering the system. With an amp that may be too small, most turn the old gain up and end up with noise and smelly speaker and they don't know why. Part of this equation will rely on your head unit, how much clean output voltage does it have? If it is a low output voltage, I would definitely head to the bigger amp.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

With an amp too small it is easy to send it into clipping = smelly speaker. With an amp that is too big it can heat the speakers voice coil too easy = smelly speaker. At least with the amp that is too big, the gain can be left as low as possible, coupled with proper crossover point in order to prevent smell speaker. Just because the speakers say 90 w rms does not mean that they need that much power. The higher unclipped signal you can give the amp, the easier it can make clean power at all volume levels and the lower the chance of noise entering the system. With an amp that may be too small, most turn the old gain up and end up with noise and smelly speaker and they don't know why. Part of this equation will rely on your head unit, how much clean output voltage does it have? If it is a low output voltage, I would definitely head to the bigger amp.

I am going to feed the amps w/ an Alpine ERA-320 EQ ( 4V/10k ohms max output)..... And looking at an Alpine CDA-7893 feeding the EQ thru Ai-net,............. or maybe My PS2 being my only input source,.......... I am still unsure what kinda signal output the PS2 will have at the Audio RCA's..............

jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
I'd go for a US Acoustics 2080 for the CDT's.  But no matter what they will not "keep up" with two 12s or 15s driven by 1Kw ported into a truck cab!!!  But an 80 watt amp is a good choice for the speakers.

What kinda front end would one need to "keep up" w/ that amount of bass?????????

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
What is the reason for the eq? and do you have it already? Your front end may keep up if the gain for the subs is kept low, otherwise you may have death by bass and not be able to hear the front end at all.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
What is the reason for the eq? and do you have it already? Your front end may keep up if the gain for the subs is kept low, otherwise you may have death by bass and not be able to hear the front end at all.

I picked up the EQ for $163 brand new at cartoys,    I needed a way to control the audio signal from my PS2, when I was dead set on using that as my only  "head unit",.    but now I am worried about the quality of the audio signal from the PS2,...................

I am not dead set on 1K rms for the subs,......... I just want a good daily system that can pound the ground when needed, and the main reason for the mini wall is so I can have some leg room w/o a box behind the seat.......... but I am after good clean sound above all else,...........

jwshardbody 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
jwshardbody wrote:

forbidden wrote:

I picked up the EQ for $163 brand new at cartoys,    I needed a way to control the audio signal from my PS2, when I was dead set on using that as my only  "head unit",.    but now I am worried about the quality of the audio signal from the PS2,...................

I am not dead set on 1K rms for the subs,......... I just want a good daily system that can pound the ground when needed, and the main reason for the mini wall is so I can have some leg room w/o a box behind the seat.......... but I am after good clean sound above all else,...........

This is an Ebay link that shows some of the details of the EQ,......... I cannot find anything about it on Alpines site,.......................( BTW) I already own this,.......... I am not bidding on it,.....LOL http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&item=3077178947&category=14931

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic