icon

Concerns about 791vx in 2004 Denali

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bcrawfo2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

I had the 791vx put in my 2004 Denali and have noticed a few things that I'd like some opinions on before I go back to have them addressed.

Lots of questions...you'll see.....so I'd rather only bring up the things that are really problems and not stuff that I'll have to live with.

First and most worrysome...when I remote start, the ABS, traction control, airbag, etc warning lights are all showing failed (lights on).  After I insert my key and take over control, all appears normal.

Second...I'm allowed to remote start the truck with the hood open.   I'm pretty sure that there is supposed to be a pin switch on the hood to prevent this.   Is this a common omission?   Doesn't seem like a good idea to skip an obvious safety step.

Third...If I remote start and then remotely turn off the car...the radio stays on.   If I go open the door, it turns off.   I haven't tested how long it actually stays on if left alone.   But this could potentially run down the battery.

Fourth...The installer didn't install the valet switch.   It's set for active arming only (so not a huge problem), but that switch is my only real interface to do basic programming.  Again, common omission?

Finally...I haven't been able to get my shock sensor to go off.   I hit all windows with my hand (pretty hard) and no response.   Is this enough of a test...or should I try something else.  (I'll bring this one to the installer regardless).

Did I get an installer in a hurry or am I just worrying too much?

Thanks for your help.

rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

Whoa there now.  I'd take it back to where you got it installed.  If they did all this to your truck, point out the problems and watch them.

2004=data bus interface, most easy if they used a bypasskit from here: http://www.bypasskit.com/index.asp

#1 yikes, I wonder if they used a bypass module. and if they connected all the necessary wires. including the second ignition.

#2 Whomever installed it should've installed the hoodpin.

#3 RAP-retained accessory power, turns off in 15/20 mins. , or send a - pulse to the door pin wire gray/black to shut the radio off

#4 Not a common omission, you need it.

#5 I zip tie the shock sensor around the steering column, where I could adjust if necessary.

Did you get an install in a hurry?  Where did you get it installed?-Take it back.  You are not worrying too much.  I'd be very angry. Concerns about 791vx in 2004 Denali -- posted image.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
#1 I would suggest not remote starting your truck until this is fixed.
#2 I don't install hood pins either. I live in New England. They rust out quick. You'd be coming back every year or two to have it replaced. If you want one, you'd pay me extra to put it in and I won't warranty it. There should be a toggle switch installed under the dash that disables the remote start for when you are working on the engine. Its included with the 791XV.
#3 I think it shuts of in about 5 minutes. GM wouldn't put this feature in the truck if they thought the battery would die that quick.
#4 You need it. If your remote stops working and your alarm is armed you are screwed.
#5 Are you waiting at least 20 seconds after arming to test?   There is a dial on the side....clockwise to increase sensitivity. Just remember, you don't want it going off when a bird sh!ts on your truck.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like maybe an ignition wire was missed or maybe the wrong one is being energized during remote start.
The hood pin, I've always liked using them for safety and If installed out of the water gutters near the outside edge or below the grill usually last.
GM RAP will go off after 30 minutes but in extreme cold the battery in the elements could be so cold that 30 minutes with no alternator recharging the battery could present a problem. This can be easily resolved by sending a pulse to the driver door trigger wire after shutdown. This wire is supplied on the Viper as well. Obviously just not connected.
You need the valet for certain. Without your remote as Jworm says..."your screwed". Especially if the starter kill feature was used. (But in this install I highly doubt it.) You can drive with the alarm going off but not if the starter wire is cut and the alarm is not allowing you to even use your key to start it.
Perhaps the shock sensor was ommitted also. I'd look under the dash and try to find out if its plugged into the brain. If you find it try adjusting it.
Make him fix it right and double check everything before you leave.
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Take it back! Take it back! Take it back! Piss-poor install!
This vehicle is an easy wire for a real pro! No pin switch, look out lawsuit - it's what put a former employer out of business! Mechanic was working on a vehicle with RS and no pin, no toggle, no warning placard and someone at the service counter hung the keys on a rack but pressed the RS button. Mechanic couldn't move fast enough and is sleeve hung up in the belt and they say the fan took off most of his forearm muscle and severed the tendons. Arm had to be amputated, so lost his livelihood. Former employer was sued in civil and criminal courts because of the install against manufacturer's directions, and the mechanic won! FYI - omission of the pin or RS kill toggle is more common than not and sign of a lazy installer IMO.
You can install a pin easily in the radiator support on a Denali - high and dry. Buy Harrison's high-end pin switches, and corrosion in not a concern.
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with allof the guys above.
"PEOPLE DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, BUT ALWAYS HAVE THE TIME IT DO IT A SECOND TIME"
i could never figure that one out....Concerns about 791vx in 2004 Denali -- posted image.
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
THE SECOND IGNITION WAS NOT HOOKED UP, DO NOT REMOTE START IT ANYMORE, TAKE IT BACK.  IF YOU REMOTE START IT ENOUGHT YOU WILL MESS UP YOUR TRANNY, PLEASE TAKE IT BACK AND KICK THAT INSTALLERS ASS TILL HE IS BEGGING FOR MERCY, AND ASK HIM IF HE IS MECP CERTIFIED, I DO NOT THINK HE IS, BUT IF HE IS HE DOES NOT DESERVE THE LICENSE. 
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
bcrawfo2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic replies for another visit.

I went back this morning and they quickly fixed the second ignition wire causing all the warning lights/messages and installed the remote starter disable.

They say that the shock sensor had come unplugged during their work on my first return visit.     That was reconnected (and obviously not tested I learned later, cause I can't get it to go off as described above).   Further prodding about the valet switch produced an installer with it in hand.  

I'll head back once more this week for an adjustment of the shock sensor, install of the valet switch and programming of a to be purchased 2nd remote.   This isn't so complicated...I just don't understand.

Question (just out of curiousity)...why would the lack of second ignition wiring cause transmission problems?

Thanks again to all members of this forum.  It's been a great help.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I hate seeing when a customer puts a hi-end product in a hi-end vehicle and then has the install done by a 5 cent installer. It really does give all of us in the industry a bad name. i would doubt this installer in certified, or for that matter even trained... a sign of the big box stores is getting young guys in as cheaply as possible..showing them the ropes for, oh, a day or so and then letting them loose to work on unsuspecting customer's vehicles. It really is a shame, there are too many real professionals in our biz for customers like this ( who actually seemed quite calm about it all ) to have to experience a sloppy, shoddy install like this on his new vehicle.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
bcrawfo2 wrote:

Question (just out of curiousity)...why would the lack of second ignition wiring cause transmission problems?.

It would damage it because the second ignition powers up your tranny, and when the car is RS the traznny is asked to work, but is not getting lubricated or anything for that matter, so sooner or later you would start loosing your 4th gear and then on down.  Hope this helps, basically the tranny is not getting lubricated duiring RS.

2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic