the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Boat system, very basic.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Take the sub back, it is not the right sub for your system, it will result in half of the available power to be available. It is best used when you have two or more drivers matched to a specific amp. They should have sold you a 4 ohm driver. I also would take back the box, not that it is bad but more due to the environment that it is going into. An open air boat loses output at an exponential rate due to the fact that there is nothing to contain the sound pressure generated. I would recommend a properly designed ported enclosure for your sub choice. This will max out the output for you to help out as best it can.

Your 6x9 boxes will work fine if you want to move the speakers around.

For the Xplod speakers that you have, bass blockers would work fine but a proper 4 channel amp is a much much better choice. Make sure it is a minimum of 50w x4 rms @ 4 ohm. The amp choice is up to you. If I had a boat I would probably not use a Sony amp myself. A better build quality and superior warranty is what I would be shopping for, again due to the environement that it will be mounted in. I would consider Planet Audio for their american built amplifiers with a 5 year warranty. Not trying to pooh pooh the great advice that you received from customsuberb, just offer a little more insight. My stores are both Oceanside, we see our share of boats and there are some things that I just won't do in them.

I would use an amp on your Xplod speakers as it is a real amp, not a peak power head unit that has to work overtime to try and keep up with the sub and keep up eith the loss of sound due to the listening location. It will also use a far superior crossover to protect the speakers from damage. It will play much louder and cleaner. It will probably last longer.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.  recommendations on a reasonbly priced 10" sub to use with this amp?  I am going to get a new amp for the Explodes. (4 channel)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
A sub with warranty longer than 1 year that works in a ported enclusure that is rated at 4 ohms, single voice coil. I'll have a look around at some recommendations and post back later.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
thanks. J.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

auex wrote:
Also, it is fine to use a 1000 watt amp on a 500 watt sub, just make sure that you adjust the gains PROPERLY. Distortion kills speakers, NOT power.

Wow.  While it is certainly true that a dirty amp (lots of noise and distortion) can cause damage to a speaker over time (although it is not the distortion itself that causes the damage, but the current excursions that distortion and noise can cause) what you state here is patently untrue.  Talk to any guitar player about how much distortion you can throw at a loudspeaker.  It is a simple matter of physics and electrical laws that too much current causes too much heat, and that is what kills loudspeakers.  Send 1000 watts to a loudspeaker rated for 500 watts and it will, either immediately in the worst case condition or over time in the best case condition, cause it to fail.  Period.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
look into some of the kicker marine equipment, They claim they most equipment is water resistane, this could be a plus if wet poeple or orject move on and off the boat, like i would assume
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

Kicker does make a marine sub. Try two of these 4 ohm subs with a Planet Audio mono amp like forbidden suggested. I'm sure there are better marine subs but these dont look to bad. You can even get them with a water-proof grille. I would try to find a mono amp from Planet Audio that outputs around 300 watts RMS at most. These Kicker subs have a low power handling level. If you cant find anything from planet audio then try Rockford Fosgate's Punch P3001 mono amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tzeQARGxY0j/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=130&id=features_and_specs&i=575P3001

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-tzeQARGxY0j/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67600&I=20603KM10&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tzeQARGxY0j/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=20603GR10M&o=&a=0

dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
these look like they would work pretty good. The main reason I got the xplode coaxial's is because of the water restistance, not necessarily the performance. But after I started messing with the system, I wanted better and better performance. Just like snowmobiling and boating....never satisfied!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic