Remote starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mopar1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have two problems:

I installed an Ultra Start remoter starter in my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U.  The start portion works fine.  I recently went back to try the unlock wiring from the remote starter control.  I have a relay connected up and the O/P going to the unlock wire in the kick panel,  PNK/PRPL.  The relay energizes and the lock momentarily goes up and them immediately locks again.  I re-programmed the unit for a Chrysler option and they would unlock only if the key was in the ACC postion and the door was open.  Doesn't make sense to me.

I just put another Ultra Start in my wifes 96 Chrysler LHS, no transponder key.  With just the basic wiring to start the car, no locks or trunk etc.  Sometimes when you start the car with the remote the panic function goes off.  Then you have to hit the keyless unlock button to cancel that.  Then you start it again and it is fine.  I do get a couple random warning lights like ABS, Airbag etc after it is started with the remote.  If you start it with the key it is normal. 

I am hoping this is simple wire switch or reprogram.  Any help would be greatly apprciated.  Pulling my hair out at this point.

Brian

packmouse 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi mopar 1,

I guess you like Mopar which is good. I am a Chevy fanatic. Mostly because of the small block V8. Anyway, I have never installed a remote starter and know nothing about them. But I will be installing one soon. So I find interest in this web site and your post. In your post what does the O/P stand for? I wonder why no one has started a Remote Starter Forum. It seems like it would be a good thing.

Thanks

John

Don't throw it away! Ill take it.
packmouse 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.drdetailshop.com/STARTINSTALL.html

Hi, Me Again,

Was out looking around trying to learn some and came across this link. Be sure go to the more tips at the bottom of their page. I goes to a lot of good info. Also I learned something about cars with factory security systems. I think Chrysler call theirs Sentry. They have to be disabled or bypassed sometimes. Also read something about vehicles with transponder keys "whatever that is" needing a bypass. I don't know. Hope this helps.

John

Don't throw it away! Ill take it.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
A transponder is a security device that is becoming much more common. It is a device that is built into a key, thus the larger black bulge in some keyes that when inserted into the ignition or in the general area, unlocks the antitheft device and allow the vehicle to start. In the case of a remote starter a transponder bypass is used to "fool" the antitheft device into thinking that the key and transponder is in the ignition.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

For the remote start in the wife's car you need to trigger the factory disarm wire to keep the starter from setting off the alarm. Next you must power up the balance of the wires to shut off the lights on the dash. With your key, meter the wirs in the main wiring harness for key in and turned to acc and key in and turn to start. All wires that receive voltage in this situation should be given the same +12v during remote start, these wires may be called 2nd access, 2 ign, 3rd ign and so on. In some cases the remote starter does not have enough outout wires to hook up to the vehicle and a relay must be used to give those wires +12v during remoite start. This should get rid of the lights on the dash. Make sure you do this, some vehicles if lights are left on will cause damage to the vehicle, a prime case is a GM pu where the wrong sequence of power up will cause shifting problems and ultimate failure of the transmission.

For you truck the locking system will probably use a reverse polarity system, you will need two relays in order to unlock the doors. Do a search for this type of locking system. If the vehicle has a disarm wire, it also may need to be triggered. Hope this helps. I'm more of an audio dude but have done my share of remote starts over the years.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ty1378 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
lock will be org/purple positive trigger and unlock will be five wire pink/purple if it is equipped with factory keyless. If not both wires will be five wire. You can get the five wire diagram on this site to help you.
ty1378
mopar1 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the inputs.  O/P stands for output in military lingo.  I will give it another go and get somemore wiring diagrams.  If that doesn't work I may post again.

Thanks again !

Brian

cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
I also have a 96 LHS with similar problems with a remote start. As I start remotely it always turns on the AC (even as I leave it off) but it only blows out the windshield vents, But as I start it with a key the AC is off untill I turn it on and functions normally. After a week my AC no longer blows at all!!! So be cautious and any help will be great.
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
1995-97 Chrysler LHS Security Information
Constant 12V+ Pink/Black Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Yellow/Gold Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Dark Blue Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 RED / White 12GA Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 3 RED / White 18GA Ignition Switch Harness (Air Bag Light)
Accessory BLACK/ Orange Ignition Switch Harness (Heat/AC)
Tach Red WHITE/ Black (PCM Passenger's Wheel Well 2 Cylinder Setting)
Neutral Safety Wire BLACK/ Light Green Switch on Driver's Side or Transaxle
Brake Switch White or WHITE/ Tan Brake Switch
Trunk Release BLACK/ White (+) Switch in Glove Compartment
Trunk Pin BROWN / Black (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Parking Lights BLACK / YELLOW Driver's Kick Panel
Head Lamp Green Light Switch
Hood Pin n/a    
Factory Disarm Light GREEN/ Orange (-) High Driver's Kick Panel
Door Trigger Yellow (-) Driver's Kick Panel White 20 Pin Connector
Door Lock ORANGE / White Behind Fuse Panel at Door Lock Relays
Door Unlock Pink/Purple Positive Trigger
Horn Wire BLACK/ Red (-) Horn Relay in Fuse Panel
Windows Up LF=Light Blue/Gold, RF=BROWN / White, LR=Blue/White, RR=Gray/Black
Windows Down LF=WHITE/ Gold, RF=PURPLE / White, LR=RED / Black, RR=GREEN / WHITE
Make:   Dodge
Model: Pickup - Fullsize
Year:    1999-01
Alarm
Constant 12 volts RED & PINK/BLACK IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 12 volts D BLUE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS SEE TECH
Starter YELLOW IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Dome Light YELLOW (-) 26 PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND DRIVER DASH
Trunk Pin Switch N/A
Parking Lamp BLACK / YELLOW (+) 74 PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND DRIVER DASH
Power Lock ORANGE / VIOLET 16 PIN CONNECTOR IN DR. #203
Power Unlock PINK/VIOLET KICK PANEL
#203 - See Reversal Rest At Ground Door Lock Diagram.
View Diagrams
Accessories
Window Up D\ L BLUE P\ BROWN / WHITE @ MAIN #211
Window Down R/ WHITE S/ VIOLET/WHITE SWITCH
Ign Key Warn L BLUE (-) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Trunk Release N/A
OEM Horn BLACK/ RED (-) 74 PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND DRIVER DASH
Headlights L GREEN (-) AT HEADLIGHT SWITCH
OEM Alarm Arm N/A
OEM Alarm Disarm L GREEN/ ORANGE (-) IN PIN 8 OF A 16 PIN CONN DR.KICK *
#211- See Reversal Rest At Ground Power Window Circuit Diagram. * OEM DISARM* Connector Located In Body Harness Side Of Drivers Door Harness To Disarm Ground Thru A 1565 Ohm Resistor.
View Diagrams
Remote Start
Tach Signal BLACK/ GRAY AT POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE *
Ignition #2 BLACK/ ORANGE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS SEE TECH
Ignition #3 N/A
Accessory BLACK/ WHITE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Neutral Safety BLACK/ WHITE (-) AT SWITCH ON TRANSMISSION OR PCM *
Brake Light WHITE/ TAN (+) AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDEL
Reverse Light VIOLET/BLACK (+) AT SWITCH ON TRANSMISSION
Rear Window Defrost N/A
* Power Train Control Module (PCM) Is Located On Passenger Rear Of Engine On Firewall. BLACK/ GRAY On 8.0L Engine Is 2 Cylinder Signal.(From Installer Tach Wire GRAY/BLACK) Diesel Glow Plug Wire Is ORANGE / BLACK At PCM. Can Also Be Found At 74 Pin Connector Behind Instrument Cluster.
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Check this out... I did nothing at all and all is well!?!? W T F, I always feel better if I know that I fixed the problem for good, but what ever.Remote starters -- posted image.
PS. I HATE THAT!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic