icon

Optimal subwoofer size

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xclusivex 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Hello I was wondering what would be the optimal subwoofer size for a 95 Honda Accord... i know larger speakers have like a given wave length as to where they are the loudest.. someone suggested to me 2 10s.. but i was thinking a 12 would hit deeper and louder. was looking into some JL w7s. also my main goals is stricly SQ so they will be going into a sealed box
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
you might wanna try a single eclipse aluminum 12. They are amazing subs and have great SQ and dont need large boxes.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
or heck go w/ two 12 inch eclipse titaniums if you are looking into the jl w7, they are incredible are very comparable to the w7, my buddy who is loaded has 2 15 inch titanium eclipses and i was left in awe at the volume and pure sq that these produced, i can only imagine how much more sq the 12 inch would have.  i would go w/ eclipse if your in the price range of the w7
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
yeah space is limited in the accord but the cool thing about the accord is the fold down rear seat, i have the same car, thats why id go with just one 12'' especially if your lookin for sq. i went with one 12'' k series armageddon by kove in a ported cabinet, faced it in and pushed it to the rear of the trunk, ( i dont want to start up the topic of ported vs sealed again but i do think a ported enclosure is awsome for sq it all depends on how u tune it)
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
so its pretty much unanimous to take 1  12inch sub over 2 10inch subs? I heard eclipse is excellent sound quality but there isnt a single retailer in the area that sells them... so warrenty is an issue, local car shop here a buddy of mine is a salesmen and he said he could do 2  10in w7s for 700 (350 a sub) and a 12 for around 500... plus that has a 3 year warrenty on it.. ive also been hearing that eclipse has the worst possible customer service. thanks for the input
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

Eclipse has the worst possible customer service for a customer that does not buy from an authorized dealer, there are no worse words that a customer wants to hear from a manufacturer like "I'm sorry, you have no warranty". Thus customer service gets bashed. Buy from an authorized retailer and all is good. I as an Eclipse dealer of 8 years have had no warranty issues that were not resolved within the allocated time. I have only had Eclipse warranty issues with E-Bay purchased and e-tailer purchases and Eclipse is fully within their rights to refuse warranty on these purchases.

One 12" can wail in the proper box, but two 10's can do a little better if the same procedures are followed. I happen to prefer the two 10's and is what I use myself. I use the Eclipse aluminum 10" and have found no equal. JL makes a great sub and warranty is good as you have pointed out, either would be a good bet for you.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

The gas money it would take for me to drive to the closest eclipse retailer alone would equal the price difference between that and a W7  :-). so JL it is for me, as for your statement on you prefer 2 10in over 12s.. do the 10s hit as deep? i know the w7 has like 77% more output than a conventional 10.. making it sound alot like a 12 or something around those numbers... i know their 13.5 is about equal to a 15 so i dont think im going to be disappointed either way.. but i do like that deep bass. My girlfriend has a 12 inch Infinity Kappa Perfect QV and that thing hits looooww.. but not as loud as id like it to, if 2 10 w7s would be comparable but louder i think i would go home tickled pink.

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

Two 10's in the proper box with the proper amp and installed properly can hit very deep, a 10" sub plays the same low bass that a 12" does, it just does not play it with as much authority. This is where the two 10's comes in, two 10's have lot more ouput than a single comparable 12". You might even want to consider an Epicenter. This will take you from having deep bass to getting shaken like a bowl of jello in an earthquake.

Xclusivex 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Epicenter? what the H E double hockey sticks is that? my main goal is SQ but it would be interesting to see the response of a female in the back seat of my car with a earthquake behind her, HAHA. ever see howerd sterns movie? I guess ill go with 2 10in w7's with a Zapco c2k-6.0 amp (1325 watts at 2 ohm) plus it comes with those nifty line drivers that will allow me to use 18v balanced..
forbidden 
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Have a look at the Audio Control website www.audiocontrol.com and look into the Epicenter, it is a nice addition to most systems.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic