icon

Help with Flashing display

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
edwcdc 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
OK, Here's the deal. I have this ongoing problem. I had a Pioneer stereo in my 96 Tahoe that was working fine until I gave someone a hotshot. After that the display would flash and the stero wouldn't come back on. I tried to change the head unit and got the same thing. I have tried different ways of hooking it up and still have the same problem. Could my battery have been damaged? The truck still starts up with one turn of the key.
my dad has a shovel
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
A hotshot?  Is that like using jumper cables to start another vehicle?  If so, it is possible you have blown an internal fuse in the head unit, or otherwise damaged it due to a voltage spike when the other car started up.  Unfortunately, if this is what happened it is repair time for the Pioneer.
edwcdc 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah a hot shot is the jumper cable thing. I thought that I damaged the head unit. But I have now tried three head units and can't get any of  them to work. They all have the flashing display once I hook the power up. This is driving me mad.
my dad has a shovel
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, that is actually good news because it means there is probably just a blown fuse somewhere in the truck and that your HU is OK.  Check your fuse panels, and if the ones for instruments and radio do not look blown, check them with a meter to me sure.  It could also be almost any fuse unfortunately, depending on where the head gets powered from...
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
sound like you got 12v constant, but not ignition, , or vise versa.   Have to tested the wires with a probe??
edwcdc 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, DYohn and Alpine Guy. I do think the head unit is ok. Could it be a bad ground? That seems like the only wire I really haven't tested. It's been too cold out to trouble shoot for too long. I should be able to check it out tomorrow. I have a volt meter and  some slightly warmer weather. I will let you know.

Thanks again!!

my dad has a shovel
DYohn 
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, it could possibly be a bad ground, or even corroded ground cables at the battery.  More likely there's a bad fuse somewhere, though.  Good luck and I hope it warms up for you soon!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic