Adding power windows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
elkie 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I'm looking to add power windows to my 99 sierra truck.  I have been doing some research and came across 2 kits that everyone talks about.  I was just wanting to get some info on which of these 2 kits are better, or if anyone has used either of these too.

1)Colibri

2) Spal Delux

The colibri, looks a bit more stronger, , the spal with the 2 cables(which look plastic) has me somewhat worried.    Because every once in a while the drivers window is a little bit tight for some reason, and takes a little be more effort to crank to start.

Thanks for any feedback!!

geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have used both, and both are high-quality units. SPAL has been around for decades now, with a long proven track record. Don't let the nylon straps dissuade you, hundreds of OE windows, particularly GMs, were controlled with similar straps! Do note the straps are an advantage to the SPAL kit because they give a little more flexibility to tuck away the assemblies within the existing cutouts in the doors, which is advantages for door panels that are relatively flat. The Colibri's flexible shaft is rather long and only bends so much, making the job a bit tougher. However, I have installed the Colibri kit in the new body style Silverados/Sierras easily!
elkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

geotexz71,

thanks for the info.   How hard/easy is it to install the SPAL unit?   At a1 they have the colibri with install pics.  Seems pretty easy, they only thing i didn't like was wher the crank used to be on that install , they place this plug that sticks out about 1 to 2 inches.  is the spal the same way?   How easy/hard is the spal unit.

Thanks again for the info!!

Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
Spal is pretty much the same way, using the factory crank for the install, but I do suggest one thing, grease all your factory tracks so the windows will roll up nice and easy, as far as the installation not too bad, wiring is pretty straight forward, instruction book is 1/2" thick but alot of it covers different vehicles and applications.
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
98grnadamse 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
where can you find these kits?
Gentleman 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
I got my spal kit on ebay, had a choice of flush or pod switches, the pod were illuminated and are easier to use in my opinion since the sort of stick out and face you on an angle, it was an easy install, the instructions in my kit were in Italian, but there are more than enough drawings to guide you. Also the deluxe kit gives you a more powerful motor and a clutch which allows you to use the provided crank should the electrics fail, the non deluxe does not have the hand crank option
Bob
elkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
For those of you that installed either the spal or the Colibri systems,  hows does it look after all is finished.   The one picture i have seen was on a van and the plug you put where the window crank used to be sticks out pretty far and looks like of crappy.   Has anyone done anything different besides useing that plug?  or are you stuck with that with these kits?   Thanks!! 
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

elkie,

Is there a reason you are wanting aftermarket conversions ?. Was it an option for your truck for factory power windows ? (probably yes). If it was why not go and gut them out of a donor vehicle. You might be able to get the whole works, door panels and all. I would do some checking as to how they mount and how they attach to the glass but I know on some older GM vehicles the holes are there for different options and if you approach it right, it might just be a bolt in swap and easier to repair if needed further on down the road.

Jim / Saint Louis

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
elkie 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to take the parts out of a vehicle and just add them in,  but one no junk yards around here have anything new, the newest has vehicles up to 92, and second i'm not sure what all i would need,  then on a gm board, they think the power has to go through the pcm somehow to work,  so alot of stuff.  I have not problem goint that way, just don know each part i'd need,   i need motors,switches,wires,panel,  then i'm sure in the power windows, there is not a crank mech, like on the manuls, so something else need to hook up.   Alot of stuff, an not too much info on what needed/install
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
elkie,
Been a few since I could stop by here. Looks like you've got your questions answered. The stick-out on the cap for the manual crank depends on the manufacturer's stem length for fitment of the manual handle. It's not just the cap itself. It'll should be about an 1" for your application.
As for your question regarding swapping in all OEM pieces for a donor, you DO NOT have to go through the BCM. You can hardwire the factory components with your own harness, instead of trying to plug into one that only might be there. Hard wiring will let you do it your way, but look factory. I'm surprised donors are so hard to find for you, we have yards FULL of those trucks and similar SUVs because they are incredibly popular. If you want to go that route, which WILL be more expensive that one of the kits - you need the entire inner door panel that has the motor mounted, inner door panel, and switch assembly (I've done similar swap on my personal vehicles), then check out yards affiliated with www.lkqcorp.com.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic