icon

bd 500 or different

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tee17 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
i have three pioneer 12's model # ts-w305c. they are 800 watts max and 400 watts max nominal. i am thinking about using a bd500 to power these subs. i want to kno how would i go about wiring the subs and amp to get the most out of each. a friend of mines has the same amp push two eclipse dvc's and it really pounds. does anyone feel that i should use a different amp or will i get great result with what i have?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

If they are dual voice coil subs that you have this is a good amp, if they are single voice coil subs, it is not the best of choices.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tee17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
i dont remember if they are dvc or svc if they are svc what kind of amp would you suggest. mind you i can get the bd500 for about 350 so i want something good in that price range
fordOndubs 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

I always use memphis amps. I run 4 Memphis 1000d amps and have never had a problem with any of them. I dont know where you will get them but they run about $400 dollars each.

Josh

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Find out first what impedence they are, nothing worse than a wild goose chase, especially when the store is a little busy today.
tee17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
i have no i dea what impedence is. i do no that they are 2 ohm if that helps you any
forbidden 
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Take the sub out of the box and tell us how many + and - terminals it has on it. From your last post it sounds like it has two of each. BTW ohms is impedence, glad to help you learn.

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
I use to own a BD500 on two HX2's and it was pretty loud...Good amp.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
tee17 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
yeah forbidden it has two of each. so would that be a good amp or should i try something else? i am partial to punch amp and i was also considering the 801s.
forbidden 
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

You have dual voice coil subs, this means that they are a 2 ohm sub if wired in parallel or a 8 ohm sub if wired in series. If all subs are identical, and they must be identical, then your amp choice is OK, a little underpowered but will work fine. You need to wire these subs in a series / parallel circuit to presen the amp with a stable load that it will be happy to play at.

Think of each subs voice coils as actually being one sub each, thus 6 voicecoils = 6 subs, first we need you to wire each sub in series to create a 8 ohm speaker. This is done by connecting (on one speaker) one voice coils - to the other voice coils +. This is a series circuit and creates an 8 ohm load, it leaves two terminals unused, one + and the other -. Do this to each speaker.

bd 500 or different -- posted image.Wiring Option #2
bd 500 or different -- posted image.

Next we need to wire all 3 subs together in a parallel circuit, this way the 3 subs and 6 voicecoils will share an equal amount of power.

bd 500 or different -- posted image.Wiring Option #1
This creates a load that is just within the capabilities of the Rockford BD500.1 amplifier. If you have more questions, post up and someone will answer them. I would expect to hear some questions about your box next, make sure you post up the vehicle they are going into.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic