icon

how to paint interior

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Patpjrick 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
thanks....soon i should be replacing the grey fabric probably with some white fabric...but i have so many ideas for my car and not enough time to do ANY of themhow to paint interior - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. 
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
do u still have that vinyl look, and did u use a clear on that. And also is it scratchable, cause i have nieces and nephs that love to pic and scratch at my car so will it come of easy, or does the primer make it stick pretty well? thanks
shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
you can also buy a paint that is meant for painting the interior of your car. Thats what my friend did and its looks good and is really durable.
Patpjrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt use any primer....the only thing that tends to scratch is the window cranks and the small piece on the drivers side door bc it touches the dash after being in a minor accident...but other than that its like brand new.
hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you scuff the plastic GOOD or it will eventually chip I don't care how much primer you put down. As far as the dash, dye it!! you can paint it but it takes ages for it to cure totally cause it will be tacky to the touch for a long while! And no there's nothing you can do about it, and then it looks like crap in a couple months. All because it has that thin layer of vinyl and coushin under it..
go custom or go home!!
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

The biggest factor to make any paint stick to a surface is the proper preparation of the panel. If it has a grain in it, get in there with a cleaning solution and a scrub brush. Once you get all of the area's scrubbed, rinse it off and scrub it again. Do all area's and around to the backside a little bit. If there is any silicone on the surface it will make the paint "fish-eye" and make the panel look like junk. Do not try and cover the whole panel with one thick coat but slowly cover it with lighter coats so you don't fill up the grain. Use the paint companies recommended flash times between coats. There are plastic prep materials out there to help with the bonding of the new paint to the plastic panel and use one companies system and don't use a prep paint from one company and then a color from another and then a clear from a third company. Normally a company that makes paints cannot and will not gaurantee how another companies material will work with theirs. There are just too many variables. When you spray the part, try and wrap some of the paint around the edges and onto the backside of the panel lip just like if you were covering the piece in vinyl. You just don't want a sharp paint edge that is more easily chipped. Also wear a good respirator so you can be around a while to admire your work.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
that door pic looks like metallic i'm guessing. what kind of color did you use?!
xTimx
Patpjrick 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
i used duplicolor truck/van/suv paint from strauss discount auto stores/ duplicolor.com has all the places you canbuy the paint from
Elrockss 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
One of the most important items that has not yet been relayed outside of cleaning and scuffing the plastic for painting, is the use of BONDING CLEARS. Those of us who have been doing this for a number of years professionally know well shortcommings of dyeing and painting interior pieces.
The Pros will tell you, you just can't consistantly get the desired "bite" that the paint or dye needs to properly adhere to the plastic without it. The silicones on and in the extrusions make this a challenge the thinner the piece being painted. Bonding Clears like "Bull Dog" and others will actually open the pores of the plastic and allow the pigment and resins to lock in as it cures, due to being a wet coat application. As long as you refrain for using a Wax and Grease Remover to prep the surface, you will achieve little to no "fisheye" in the finish. The result will be very gratifying I assure you.
elrock-SS
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
i just used that new krylon fusion paint thats made for plastics ad such and once you leave it cure for about a week(cans recamends)it bonds to the plastic, i waited 2 weeks before i put it back in my car and i have rubbed my seatbelt on it, keys acrossed the dash getiing in and out from girls nails, nothing yet has scratched it, it is amazing paint.
Ernie
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic