icon

Remote start no EFI?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stealth71 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 71 chevelle and will be installing power locks and an alarm. I was thinking about adding remote start but a lot of sites say you need fuel injection.  I don't see why this is necessary.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

scauntay 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
you know when you have a little trouble starting your car and have to manually press the gas to get some fuel into the carb or it just wont kick over? the efi automatically sprays the gas into the cylnders. not sure if there is a kit to get the carb engines to run a remote starter. if there is email me cause im just finishing up a 1967camaro.
stealth71 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
I would think if you had an electric choke carb it would take care of that problem.  Or if the car was already warm.  My chevelle starts better than most cars I hear start.  If its not cold out it starts right up with no choke.  Isn't the remote starter just giving power to the starter solenoid?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
no its also powering up the fuel system...if your vehicle starts fine by just putting the key in and turning it then you dont have a problem, but if you have to pump the gas at all, then it wont work since the RS unit cant pump the gas for you... years ago we used a solenoid kit that pumped the throttle linkage, but it was a hassle in most cases
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
stealth71 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't it just take a little longer to start. As soon as the engine starts turning over the fuel pressure will build . What does the rs stop turning when it notices rpm or what?
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't an electric fuel pump help with this? Just a thought..
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Remote start no EFI? -- posted image.
rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Leoayers 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Actually on cold days when you press the gas pedal in the morning it not only puts gas in the Carb it also closes the choke so you get a richer mixtur till the car warms up. An electric choke has nothing to do with it closing, only opening. The choke doesn't close on it's own when the car gets cold because your fast idle screw sits on a cam on the choke linkage that is why when you first start your car in the moring the idle runs higher then when it warms up. You can try to install the assemblies that you would use for door popping(used for shaved door handles to pull back on the throttle once before the remote start. this is a door popper I ahve seen them on ebay for less Ebay check this one out!
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

have done a few carbed vehicles with limited success back when command start was king.  Remote start no EFI? -- posted image.it had a trigger that you could program for 1, 2 or 3 "kickdowns" of the throttle before cranking.  if I remember correctly it also had a throttle "pulse" if it noticed engine rpm falling below a certain point (expecting it to stall).

I can't say I've thought about it for a long time....but you use simple 10 lb solenoids (trunk release style) and connect it to the throttle linkage.  it then pulses the throttle for you....

I say forget r/s on a carb and spend the money on a perf. upgrade!

b

FullForce 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I say put the Holley pro-jection on it and then you gots your FI. Then you can get a remote start with the money you save on gas.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic