Yes, GIMP is available for Windows:

http://www.gimp.org/

itmdtr
tray262 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

markcars wrote:
Is GIMP only for the UNIX platform? I think most of us are looking for Windows platform based drawing sofware.

Nope actually, I run GIMP under XP and win2000pro no problems. Here's a link to the Win32 build http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/ Please let me know what you guys think.

tray262 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

the12volt wrote:
The image above and the others like it on this site were created in MS Paint®  and Ulead PhotoImpact®.

I give you a lot of credit. I can't use MS paint and get anything to look half-way decent. Kudos.

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
tray262, I agree with you that MSPaint is quite an archaic piece of software and it surprised me as much that mr 12volt is using it successfully. It opened my eyes to using it but still, he does deserve quite a lot of credit for using it.
About GIMP, I tried downloading it but read that is very unstable and they have copyright issues etc. Do you have a sample (using GIMP) you did, that I can see?
tray262 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

markcars wrote:
tray262, I agree with you that MSPaint is quite an archaic piece of software and it surprised me as much that mr 12volt is using it successfully. It opened my eyes to using it but still, he does deserve quite a lot of credit for using it.
About GIMP, I tried downloading it but read that is very unstable and they have copyright issues etc. Do you have a sample (using GIMP) you did, that I can see?

I don't have any examples on hand, I do architecture for a living. So I use it all the time for my side work. I use Photoshop at work. Gimp is very comp. About that unstable issues; it's BS. I crash more in AutoCAD then ever in GIMP, infact I don't believe I've ever crashed in GIMP. I'm using a 2400+ AMD XP. on a $45 Ecs MB. and have no probs. I would'nt worry about it. Give it a shot I think you'll be surpised. Good luck my man.

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks. Then I believe it again. I shall give it a shot today for sure. Maybe the AMD MB is helping not to crash? Just kidding.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Is truely a superb piece of software. I tried it today. Goes on par with photoshop. I couldn't believe it. Thanks a bunch for the info. My next picture upload will be with it.
tray262 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

No problem, I wouldn't point ya in the wrong dircetion. Pass the word onto anyone that need a piece of software. Oh and in case you're interested in a Microsoft Office want-a-be. Check out http://www.openoffice.org/ it's about the same caliber as gimp is photoshop. Good luck with your GIMPing. Glad to hear you liked it. By the way, I'm a AMD man on every system I build bout 20 a year. (Cheaper & Faster) For CAD and 3D. Just my $.02. And it rocks running freecell too!! ;-)

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed 100 percent. And thanks again. I use AMDs' too unless I am specifically asked not to, and you're absolutely right, they're cheaper and faster, two birds with one stone! Or I shoudl say three or four birds with one stone. I will check the openoffice either tomorrow or next day. I am busy now, got to go GIMPing and freecelling!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic