icon

Can I Move my battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flamen19 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I just recently bought a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer and I am installing an MTX 8100D amp to 2 MTX 8000 12" subs in a sealed box in the back. Before I realized that the amp requires a 0 gauge wire I installed a 4 gauge wire from my battery to the back of my SUV. I don’t really want to buy 17 feet of 0 gauge wire at 5 bucks a foot if I have already bought the 4 gauge wire. My question is could I move the battery from under the hood to back next to the amp, run the 17 feet of 4 gauge wire from my hood to the battery I have placed in the back and then 2 feet of 0 gauge wire from my battery to the amp. I figure this would save on wire and give the amp a little more power because it is right next to the battery. Or could I buy a new battery to put in the back and wire the 2 batteries together. I’m totally confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Really, in an instant like your's I'd just get a second battery for the back. Then wire the front battery to the back battery with the 4 AWG wire and just run new 0 AWG wire to the amp from the rear battery, I'd suggest building a sterdy and completely sealed container for the rear battery or getting a deep cycle. I've dont it before and my setup I'm building will be incorperating it so I know it can be done and safely, just be sure to wire in a fuse to you dont have any disturbances that could damage your battery/alternator/electrical system.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
His amp really only requires 4 gauge wire like everyone posted in his other post. Another battery would only be a bigger load for his alternator to charge and would only let him play his stereo with his car off and not drain his main battery. Stick with the 4 gauge wire and you will be fine.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, if you really wanna move the battery, it can be done. Look at all show car muscle cars. you'll never see a battery in their engine bay. Just run over to an autozone or whatever parts place you have near you and ask for a battery relocator kit. they are universal, (last time I checked), and dont cost very much at all. :) good luck.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic