icon

Power Acoustik equipment

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cmlogsdo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a some Power Acoustik equipment consisting of a MOFO 15, 1800 Watt Class D amp, and 2-1.2 Farad capacitors.  The sub is in a 3.0 cu. ft. custom ported enclosure tuned a 45hz, the sub is facing the rear and the port is blowing out the front into the cab.  This is my delima, when the trunk lid is closed bass output is much less than if it were open.  Why is this?  I just competed in my first SPL contest and was very disappointed with only 132.9 db between 52 and 55 hz.  Is this a result from poor enclosure design or the equipment?   The rules would not allow me to make a pass withthe trunk lid open, so I'm not sure what the difference is, but quite noticable.  Any help would be great because at this point I'm ready to sell it all and start over.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

Have you tried facing the sub towards you instead. I notice this with my sub in my suburban also. When I open the back door I definitely can notice more bass output from the drivers seat. If possible in your vehicle try facing the sub towards you. Experiment with other locations also.

cmlogsdo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

The box I have now is custom fit so there is no way to try different placement.  I previously had two 10" Audiobahns in a sealed enclosure and I tried different placement, however facing to the rear was best for them.  thanks

speakerman 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
You have a phase issue and the only thing that is going to help is to redesign the box. You either need to put the sub in the very front of the trunk (the very back of the car) or mess with the port placement. By facing the port in the same direction as the sub is firing might help too. The only other thing is depenting on how everything is set up you might be able to make a wall. But if you can't move the box or the port there is nothign that another amp or sub is going to do for you.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
hey man, do you have a picture of what you're working with, cuz what you said, its really hard for me to visualize. i'll try to understand it though. thanks.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, that was very vauge. I mean, do you have a picture of your enclosure, cuz im not understanding what you mean by the subs facing the back, but the ports facing the front. thats whats confusing me.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

If you have your driver and your port facing in opposite directions, then yes, you have created a cancellation effect.  This is the worst possible configuration.

Sound waves are like surface waves in water.  They go up and down and have a set distance between the peaks.  A 50Hz sound wave is approximately 22.5 feet long.  So to achieve maximum SPL at this frequency, the sub needs to be 22.5 feet from the listening point.  That is why facing a sub towards the back of the car tends to create more SPL in the drivers seat: you have increased the distance the sound must travel by making it bounce off the back of the trunk before it gets to you. 

When you face the sub one direction and the port in another direction, you have now created two paths for the sound, and the waves will arrive at different times.  So what I suspect you have done is created a situation where the waves between 52 and 55 Hz (which will be about 22 to 20 feet long) are arriving from the port before the other set arrives from the sub cone, and one is cancelling the other (because the peaks hit at different times.)

Does this make sense?  This is why the best subwoofer system designs always have the port on the same side (baffle) as the drivers.

cmlogsdo 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks man, you made it very easy to understand why it is critical to have the sub and port firing in the same direction.  Very helpful.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic