icon

Sub wiring request for help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
septicdeath 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to wire up 3 DVC speakers. I am running (2) Fosgate BD 1000.1 sync'd together, each amp phased 180 of the other (per the sync specifications). Fosgate says min 4ohm load with the amps bridged (makes sense since 1 is stable to 2ohm's only). I have read I can run these bridged at 2ohms (1 ohm each) but am not in a rush to destroy my investment. Anyone?
I have space to throw 3 subs at this amp. I have (2) RFR 3112's with dual 2 ohm coils, and (1) RFP 4212 with dual 4 ohm coils.
I am tring to use the mix of (4) 2ohm coils and (2) 4 ohm coils to better match the recomendation of the amp. I just happened to have 3 4212's laying around, so I figured I'd borrow one to help with this install. My expedition has enough space on my amp rack to make a sealed enclosure with (3) seperate 1.3 ft3 sealed chambers. Any help in the correct wiring scheme would be apperciated. Im confused, but thought that the best scheme would be to wire each 3112's set of coils in series, and then each complete driver in parallel (2 ohms total) then try to use the 4212 to bring the resistance up as much as possible to get somewhere closer to 3, is this possible? Again, thanks for the help....
manuelk44 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Try in relay's section for more detail here you find the answer coz' you must wiring 2 woofers in paralell and with another must connected in series

JM Melnik

Mexico City

Juan Manuel Melnik
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
You shouldn't power different ohm speakers off of the same amp.
brad123 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

If you want to get 4 ohms you can run the speakers with the 2ohm dvc to 1 ohm each.  Run pos to pos the out then neg to neg then out.  If you put those 2 into the amp it would be 2 ohms the add the 1 4ohm dvc from pos to pos and neg to neg which would be 2 ohms, so your total would be 4 ohms which should be the right match for the rockford amp.  so run each sub in parell by itself then put them all into the amp to get 4 ohms.  Hopefully you can get it to work.

Brad

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
This will not work in any situation with the voice coil configuration of the subs that you have. This will result in damage that more than likely will not be honored under warranty. You must have identical subs of the same impedence that wire in the same circuit to rest at a combined load of 4 ohms when using strappable amps.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
septicdeath 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

yeaqh, I finally figured it out, read some info on the site. Now Im stuck with 2 2ohm DVC subs and a 2 RF 1000bd amps rated at 2ohms each amp, bridged looking for 4 ohms, I've stupidly spent most of my cash, so now Im looking at possibly adding 1 more 3121 to try to bring the imp up to 3ohms which is closer to the 4 than 2 is. Ive been told that I can run these 1000bd's at 1ohm per amp or 2ohms bridged, but I dont think rockford specs it at 2ohms per amp for the hell of it... decisions, decisions, hell I guess I could throw both 3112's wired 2 ohms to just 1 amp, but that seems underpowered to me... any suggestions?

Thanks

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Id just strap the two amps together and take both subs parrelled and then series them together to ruun at 2 ohms. I have done that exact set up for a customer and it worked awsome. He competed and did quite well in the local compitions.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

That is about your only option left with the subs wiring configurations and the capabililities of the amps. Make sure, real sure that you have a very very good ground for those amps, if you have a dmm, make sure the ground return resistance is less than .5 ohms or expect problems with the power supply down the road. I do not recommend that you run these amplifiers into a 1 ohm load at all, I've seen crispy amplifier when this happens.  You can add a 3rd identical sub and parallel / series these subs to have the  approximate3 ohm load (probably close to 2 ohm), it should work fine. Wire the system like this.

Wiring Option #2

Sub wiring request for help -- posted image.

septicdeath 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, I've managed to scrape some cass together, and had someone pay me with a 3rd Fosgate 3112 sub. The sub enclosure is done, all three subs have exactly (well 1.002 ft3) 1 cubic foot. The amp rack has just gotten the vinyl done, and I dont want to start cutting into it for power and such until I am sure about the amps. I can wire the 3 3112's in 1.34 ohms or 3 ohms (per rockfords wiring wizard).

I've so far been told that the two bd1000's synced together will "run" the 3ohm speaker load. Im guessing it would supply about 1700watts at 3 ohms (guess). I've been told that the 3ohms will SMOKE the power supplies in 2 months by Fosgate techs, yet others here say it should work. My question, well why I have the 800.00 bucks, should I be looking into say a DEI 2400D amp (2400 watts at 2 ohms, 2 ohm stable) or some of the other 1ohm stable class D amps out there. I have LOTS of bills I could spend the money on, and just run the fosgates, but hey, whats life all about. Anyone (keep in mind the 3 1000RMS 2000MAX watt Fosgate 3112 2OHM DVC subs that I am choosing to run) got a recomendation for  a class D amp. I listen to Slipknot and thrash, my music is hardcore speed, so I dont even know what SQ is, Im looking for SPL and basically to be a menance to society (ha ha, with only 800 bucks.) also, I havent upgraded the 100amp 98 expedition altenator yet, but am running a Optima yellow top, and have a 5 farad capacitor/power distribution system...

Thanks

forbidden 
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Have a look at the big nasty Crossfire VR4000D and run it at 3 ohms, should provide all the power you need. Just a suggestion of what to do with your extra $. You can always sell the Rockfords and make up the difference if there is any.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic