icon

Changing Ohm load using relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jtf78 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

I wanted to know how to setup switchable ohm loads when using dual voice coils subwoffers.  I have seen this before where a switch on the dash changes the sub configuration from 8ohm to 2 ohm.

Any one have a diagram or some insight?

Thanks.

Jerry
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

Hi jtf78, I beleive this is what you're referring to here:

Changing Ohm load using relays -- posted image.

To read more about it, go here: https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#stbm

If this is not what you're looking for, please lets us know.

the12volt

jtf78 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

I did see this but this is not exactly what I was looking for.  I wanted to hook up a switch so that when going from sound quality competition to SPL I could set the subs to a difference resistance (2ohm at SPL and 8ohm at SQ).  Normally whne wiring the DVC subs you can choose which ohm load you want by wiring the subs together in the box but I wasnt to switch them between competitions.

I have seen this done before at a show but I never found the owner to find out how it was done.

Jerry
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

I see what you want to do...give me a little bit to draw up a diagram for you. I'll post here as soon as it's done.

the12volt

the12volt 
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Jerry, try this out for size:

Changing Ohm load using relays -- posted image.

When the relays are at rest (normally closed position) the woofer coils are wired in series. When ground is applied to each coil (energizing the relay coils), the voice coils are wired in parallel. With 2 four ohm voice coils you'll have an 8 ohm load at rest and a 2 ohm load when the relay coils are energized.

For each dual voice coil woofer that you want to change from series to parallel, you'll need two relays for each. They can all be controlled from the same toggle switch.

If you need anything else, let us know.

the12volt

jtf78 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help. That should work out well.
Jerry
the12volt 
Posted: March 11, 2002 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

You're welcome  ...glad I could help.

the12volt

bayvanman 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2002 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm new to the forum, and all I can say is...

you have already answered my question before I asked it!!!

THANK YOU!!!

BlackGti 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2002 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

what gains/losses do u get with this setup? and what subs/amps can u do this with...obviously DVC ones but which ones?

Best Buy Mobile Install Tech.
the12volt 
Posted: March 21, 2002 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hi BlackGti, you can use this on any amplifier capable of handling the lowest impedance level produced by the two given voice coils. What you gain in the example above with two 4 ohm voice coils is the ability to change from an 8 ohm load to a 2 ohm load at the flick of a switch allowing you to change from a setup geared towards sound quality to one geared towards loudness.

the12volt

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic