the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2003 Denali TV in Front? How best to do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Roveer 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

Last year I put a 10.4 inch Audiovox drop down TV in my 2003 Denali.  I have a VCP and DVD providing source, plus the screen and the VCP both have TV tuners.  I want to add a screen someplace in the front seat.  I've had TV's in my cars for a bunch of years and no dispersions about watching TV while driving.  I just don't do it.  I'd like to be able to do it while standing, or to be able to preview what's going on in the rear screen, or have it available for the wife in the passenger seat.

At first I thought it would be a good idea to try and activate my NAV screen for this purpose, but I have a feeling the companies that provide this service will want an arm and a leg.  My next thought was go get a nice 6" or 7" screen and make it 'removable', mounting it right near the 'punch outs'  just below the vent.  Or possibly a visor screen but i'm not real crazy about that.  I have a Video out from the drop down screen waiting to drive the display where ever I put it.  What have others done to place a display in the front seat?  Has anyone gotten the NAV screen activated?  Is it possible for me to do myself or are we relegated to those few high cost shops?

Thanks

Roveer.

rgardjr 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Here's what I did in my 2003 Sierra Denali.  Had to relocate the cd changer to the glove compartment:

2003 Denali TV in Front?  How best to do? - Last Post -- posted image.

rgardjr 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Picture showed up in preview.  I'll try it again with a link:

http://www.ccser.com/~rgardjr/lilly01.JPG

Roveer 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

Sweet!!!  Can't afford to lose all the real estate (cd changer, lighter, storage).  Wife would throw a fit (it's her car).  I'm investigating activating the in-dash NAV.  One place wants 650.00 which includes a fancy video switcher.  I only want to bring in 1 video source, so I'm looking at another company (NAV-TV) that gave me the local place.  Haven't gotten a price yet, but if it's around 500 I'll go for it.  That's the price of a decent LCD display so it's worth it to maintain a completly stock look.

Roveer

vekoma6382 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Vizualogic makes a Visor monitor for your Denali. MSRP $600. They also have the new Advantage series which uses IR headphones and has buttons on the face of the monitor.

If it doesn't fit.......make it fit.
Veeslim 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
Move the cd changer to the rear seat area, and put a motorize montior in it's place. It's real easy.
Roveer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

I'm tempted to do what Veeslim has offered, but my budget does not allow it, and it wanders too far from stock.  I'm going to visit a Car Stereo place on Saturday that supposidly will mod the head unit video to accept an input.  If they can (can't see why not), then I'll just line out my 10.4 (has it in the headliner ready to go), into the Dash NAV and I'll have access to DVD, VCP and TV.  Nice and easy.  No cutting, no fussing.  This is basically what I wanted.  Let's see how much they want to rip me for this simple mod.  Seems they do the work (often using a customers car), to figure out how to break into video going to monitor.  Then devise a switch and sell it for hugh bucks.  I figure I'm going to pay around 500 bucks for this.  But it beats the 1000+ to buy a video headunit and the time and effort to move the CD changer.  I'll let you know what happens.

Roveer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, OK.  First, don't go to Mobile Innovations in Lodi NJ.  are a bunch of thugs.  Too busy to return phone calls and when I went to their storefront they told me 1200 bucks to provide the mod and were basically not interested in doing the work.  They just want the benjamins and the big jobs.  The place really shows it too.  Oh well.  I'm contacting NAV-TV directly to see what they can do.  Maybe a better experience with them.  The saga continues.  Sorrry guys, I call em like I see em.  When you do a good job.  I shout it from the rooftops, when you treat people like crap.  Well, I shout that from the roof tops too.

Roveer

Roveer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

OK, I contacted NAV-TV directly and they quoted me the same 1200 bucks for the modification.  Highway robbery...  Another company will do the mod for 100 bucks but forces your to pay another 500 bucks for their video switcher.  I dont' need a video switcher so I'm just plain outta luck.

So, if anyone knows of anyone who got their GMC Navagation radio modifed to allow for video input and is interested in recouping some of their investment.  I'd beinterested in talking to them.  Just have to figure out what they did to mod (sure it's just a simple RCA cable and a switch).  I'll gladly pay a hundred bucks for this information.  I'm just not going to pay 1200 or 650 for stuff I don't need.  This type of thing should be available on the net for all to use.  

Reply to this topic if there's any interest.

Roveer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic