icon

Annoying problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sabre 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys - Wasn't sure where to post this, so I'll try here, first.

I did a routine install in a 92 Geo Tracker today, no problems, tested fine, completed.  When my customer came to pick it up, there was no audio output, but the head unit was powered up, and the track was running.  I pulled the deck and checked my harness, which looked fine.  Tried her old deck in there, and it works fine.  I put a MM on every wire in the harness, ensureing proper continuity (sp?), and plugged back into the new head unit, still no audio output.  I got a new identical unit to try, and got the same results. I apologized, and sent her on her way as she had to be somewhere, but as she was pulling out, the output came back on.  She called me about a hour later, saying it comes and goes as it pleases.  I asked her to leave it off till tomorrow.

I dont want to waste any time with this, but I haven't a clue where to start.  The only thing I can think of to try is to tin the connections on the harness where they plug into the factory wiring.  If that doesn't work, I'm not really sure what to check next. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
i'm assuming this thing has a factory amp, or an amp installed, that the head unit uses a remote turn on wire to switch it on and off - otherwise how would all the channels lose audio if it's using the built in amp to power speakers?  unless....... it's got a cellphone mute wire, that might be causing the problem.... anyhow, assuming its got an amp, check your remote turn on (often refered to as the power antenna wire) and make sure its getting power at the amp when the head unit is on.  another thing to check.... sounds stupid i know, but it's often overlooked - check to make sure that turning on the usual stuff (headlights, parking brake, brake lights, air conditioning) isn't what's turning the audio on and off --- it wouldn't be the first time i've seen that happen.  i'd check all those first, just because it only takes 2 seconds to turn all that stuff on and off to see..... then if they dont affect anything, go from there..... if it's got an amp, i'd check that remote turn on wire to see if it's getting power at the amp, and lastly, check to see if it's got a cell phone mute wire if nothing else checks out. 
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

think i know the issue..... new decks are very sensitive, most likely there is a speaker terminal grounded to chassis.  This will cause the amp in the deck to go into protection and the rest of the speakers will shut off..... i would check all the speaker wirtes to see if any are grounded, then troubleshoot them on a per speaker basis.  seen it a million times, the factory deck doesn't have this feature so it will appear normal.... it comes on everyonece in a while while shes driving becasue that ground short is vibrating in the door or something....

Sabre 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I shoudl have specified that there is no factory or aftermarket amp in this vehicle.  It's straight to the speakers

The grounding of a speaker wire sounds like the most sense.  I'll probably start there and see if I can get her fixed up.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic