icon

94 Grand Marquis Premium sound replacemen

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ruben_alvarez 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

I want to replace the factory amps and speakers of my '94 Grand Marquis, which came with the JBL Premium Sound System.

Initially it sounded pretty good but now the speakers are shot and I want to take the opportunity to upgrade to better sound. I want to keep my original head unit (cassette player + 10 CD changer). Both amps are accessible from the trunk, one is behind the seat back and the other bolted to the subwoofer box.

I've searched several sites and can't find anything useful, most try to sell "wiring kits" but won't tell you what the wires are. I don't mind cutting and splicing wires to save a few bucks. On the other hand I would buy the kits if I was absolutely certain that they would work w/o reducing the features of my current setup.

I already bought a woofer and it's amplifier (Scosche SA3002), and want to start by replacing that portion, the other amp and speakers will be next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Muchas Gracias from Tijuana, Mexico.

cdjr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

I'm upgrading the OEM Premium System in my 2001 G. Marquis and had the same questions. I've since decided to replace everything but this link I found when I was initially looking might help some.

http://www.davidnavone.com/heresHow/april2003.htm

I'm having my system professionally installed and would suggest at least talking to a shop about your questions. I found that many install shops (non-Circuit City type) are more than glad to spend some time if they aren't busy at the moment.

Good luck.94 Grand Marquis Premium sound replacemen -- posted image.

ruben_alvarez 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Thanx CDJR,

I looked into the link you suggested and could not find wiring data for my application, so I decided to do it the hard way and finally found what the wires mean.

There's a gray shielded cable from the factory amp to the factory subwoofer amp, the wires are as follows:

Black = +12 V remote (to activate subwoofer amp when head unit is turned on)

White = Line level signal positive

Shield = Line level signal return

There are another couple of heavier wires (yellow and red) going into the subwoofer amp, the yellow is constant +12 V and the red I believe is ground.

Once I figured this out the installation of my new subwoofer and it's corresponding amp was easy.

Next step will be to replace the factory amp and the regular speakers, any help on this issue will be appreciated.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Try shopping here. They give you free instructions and wiring harnesses when you buy from them. Just enter your vehicle info and they tell you what fits. Crutchfield vehicle selector

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic