icon

amplifier clipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
is there anyway to know if your amp is clipping??? b/c i have a jbl 600.1 amp its rather nice doesnt get hot or warm or anything but sometimes when i play it to right b4 my tweeters give out it starts to smell and its a kicker l7 so i mean i shouldnt be burning up should it... ive got it in a homemade 2cuft box its got a tiny tiny hole right near the speaker from when i cut the opening but thats the only air getting out and im sealing it asap... thanks
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
Well if your starting to get a smell you might either be cooking your amp or the voice coil of your sub. So basically adjust your gain to an appropriate level if you haven't already done so.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
my gains are low....lower... its not my amp i know for sure b/c of where the smell is coming from and it has a bit of a wood glue/sealant smell 2 it so thats the box for sure... could it be the stuffing i used could the sub be making that hot?
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
and shouldnt the sub be able to take the amp at full power anyways i mean its like 750rms and im only going to be able 2 push about 650 tops...
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah but for the amp to produce max power doesn't mean the gain has to be put full or anything. It's spose to match the output of your preouts to produce it max power.
I would take out the stuffing and run it for a while and see if you still get the same smell. Might have a dodgy sub there.
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
what do u mean by dodgy....????what do u mean its supposed 2 match the output of the preouts.... i have 4v pres so what should it be set at?
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
stuffed sub in simpler terms. If you've got 4volts preouts then you should set your gain on your amp around 4volts. You can set it a little higher as this is never exactly correct. And that is basically measured by the manufactor at max volume. This setting should be done with everything on your deck set flat. So all bass and treble should be set to 0.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
You could also be clipping the outputs of the cd player, if this happens it will not matter where the gain on the amp is set at, it will be amplifier a clipped signal. Very few cd players have non clipping preouts.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic