icon

blown amp, Need Help to Fix Please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thepyrofish 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I have a Lightning Audio S2.500. A friend gave it to me for free because it is blown. I am hoping that I will be able to fix it myself so that I do not need to pay for somebody else to look at it. For those of you who are not familiar with this amp, it is a 2 channel amp. It is 4ohm stable bridged. He had this amp "professionally" installed at A&B sound. He was running 2 rockford punch single 4 ohm subs. If you think about this you will realize this is not a good set up. Cause if you run them in parallel you will be running a 2 ohm load which the amp is not stable at, or you can run then in series at 8 ohms, only getting half the power. They ran then in parallel @ 2ohms and the amp eventually was blown. So that is how the amp was blown. Now i am trying to figure out what the problem is and i am going to try and fix it. I have opened the amp up and i see no signs of damage. I am wondering where the problem would most likely be, how to fix it (if possible) and how much it will cost me for parts etc. Also any other information that I may need would be helpful.
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
isnt it their responsibility to fix since they installed it?
thepyrofish 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

it should be, but it has been uninstalled for at least a year, we have no receipts or work orders, no warranty and no proof whatsoever that they are to blame. so now i am trying my best to get it fixed without paying someone else to do it, but when i opened it up i couldn't see any burn marks or anything noticibly wrong.  so i was wondering if anybody had an idea what areas to look at and what to look for in an amp that was blown this way.  thanks for your help

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
there is no way to magically perceive what might be blown in a unit, you would have to take it apart and do a proper, comprehensive diagnosis on it, just like a qualified repair shop would do.
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with kgerry...i have fixed a couple amps in the past that had obvious things wrong with them...rattled solder joints, burnt resistors, etc..but there is alot involved with properly fixing an amplifier.  they are very precise machines and have to built/repaired just right, or they are worthless.  just my two bits!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Well, since this amp was installed at "Albert & Bobs", have a look in the glove box for an installation sticker, some of the installers put stickers in there for reference if a problem like this does happen. If you requested the ampto be wired at 2 ohm mono, this is on your shoulders, if they wired the amp to 2 ohm mono all on their own, this is on their shoulders. What A&B installed the amp. This is a great amp and is worth getting fixed, do not try it yourself. I can provide you with the correct way to get the amp serviced in Canada if you are interested.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
thepyrofish 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

As far as i know, Dave(the guy who used to own the amp) knows nothing about car audio and did not request any specific wiring.  the A&B that installed it is in Lethbridge, AB.  and yes i would be very appreciative if you would help me get it repaired.  but just out of curiosity, if one of the (i think its a capacitor because it says 2200uF, unless F doesn't mean Farad) has a little brown crap around it( looks similar to dried battery acid) could that one capacitor(i think) be the problem. I just noticed this and got all excited, kinda curious if i was right or not

thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

It could definitely be the problem or part of a larger problem. Brown crap around a cap is a good indication that the cap is toast. If you have a local service shop , ask them for a quote. Otherwise contact Lightning Audio at 1-888-881-8186. This is the service phone number where they will give you a quote and a RA#. Once you have the RA# send the amp to

Jestar Canada Inc.

400 Wright St.

St. Laurent, Que.

H4N 1M6

Make sure the RA# is one the outside of the shipping box and send it by Purolotor, prepaid.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
thepyrofish 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
thanks a billion man
soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have an amp with i think to be the same problem i was just wondering if you fixed yours yet and if so what was wrong with it?
Soccer_aholicblown amp, Need Help to Fix Please -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic