icon

5-channel Amp Recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaceman Spiff 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have an explorer sport trac so off the bat space is limited. I am looking for a 5 channel amp to run a 9 speaker system. 4-mids, 4-tweets and 1-10" sub. Not looking to wake the neighborhood but would like the ability to crank it up and get some good hard hitting bass when I desire. Sub box is sealed and about .6 cub. feet, running an old Soundstream USA10. Upgrading the woofer is a possibility but I'm not there yet. I have looked at the kicker KX700.5 but haven't found any info on it, and the same can be said about most other 5-channels.
Any suggestions.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Try the Alpine MRV-F450. Its the same price as the Kicker but I think its better then the Kicker amp. Its got a better power rating also. Alpine MRV-F450  Kicker KX700.5
dyno 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

Although I haven't used it, the Memphis Belle 5-channel amps came highly recommended to me by a friend who owned a car audio shop for 15 years and dealed Memphis, Alpine, Kicker, and Kenwood. He said that the only 5-channel amp he'd ever buy for himself would be the Memphis. Supposedly with amps like the Alpine and Kicker, when your subwoofer is hitting hard, your mids will suffer in power and clarity. Not the case with the Memphis.  That's what he said anyway.

-dyno

ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

The Memphis Belle will not makes the mid's suffer because it is basically two seperate amps in one chasis, it has a class a/b for mids and hights and a seperate class d for subs. It is really a good amp and I have played with it in one of my old system setups, Memphis makes some good stuff.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
The sub that you have is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It wails in a ported box and plays pretty respectable in a sealed box. As it is a dvc sub it does limit some of the amplifier suggestions. The basic Eclipse ea3532 is not a good amp for this purpose but the pa5532 is a good choice. It is also a US built amplifer. Another really good amp is the Crossfire VR705D. This is an outstanding 5 channel amplifier. A class D design for the subs, 300w rms @ 2 ohm mono, so it will drive your dvc sub properly with more than enough power and a rock solid class AB section to drive the front / rear speakers. This amp is underestimated by most people, we used to sell a pile of them, never had reliability issues either. We do not sell them any more as we do not have a local distributor, too bad.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
In my first setup I had an eclipse amp, the 3650 I think, that sounded damn good. I was running kicker K75's in the front and infinity Kappa 6x9's in the rear and a 12w0 in a ported box for bass. Let me tell you for a relatively inexpensive system it put out some pretty damn good sound, surprisingly the bass hit pretty good and the amp played those mid's and highs extremely clearly. I definitely have respect for eclipse amps, the 3650 is an older model and I'm not sure what it got replaced with but I'm pretty sure forbidden could tell you.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
The Eclipse 3650 replacement is now the Eclipse ea3532 that is only 4 ohm mono capable on the sub channel, thus is not a good choice for his application. The Eclipse pa5532 is a 2 0hm stable sub channel amplifier that will work fine with his sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
I will ditto the Memphis Belle recomendation.  A fantastic piece of equipment.
kwalton 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
what about Phoenix Gold Octane series. they have a 5 channel amp rated at 125x4 + 400x1. anybody heard anything about this amp. i am looking into buying one.
HeathMac 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  

look into the us amps= usa-5600x

ive got one in my wifes car and it sounds great

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic