icon

Need Some Cap Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
00neon 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Ok heres my issue, i bought a cap off of  Ebay, i know probally the wrong mistake, anyway it was brand new.  its a lightning audio strike ls-10.  however i charged it and installed it. the thing is, theres on remote turn on screw Need Some Cap Help - Last Post -- posted image..  i emailed lightning audio and from there respose, the cap is supposed to be signal sensing .  my problem is, that the light on the cap is not turning on, i drive about 20 min to school and work and it never turns on.  anyone have this issue or am i screwed?
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

It sounds like you got screwed. Can you tell if there is a difference in sound with it installed? If so then maybe the little light on top is burnt out. Who knows.

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
how did you connect the cap? You don't charge and connect a cap, but it has to be continously connected in order to do its job. can you draw how you connected. Sounds like you just didn't wire it right. You are still in luck, which we can find out after your drawing/description on how you wired it.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
did you connect the battery's+ to the cap's+ and the cap's- to ground? (with a fuse between the cap's+ to the battery's+ for safety).
if not then thats the reason it ain't working. If yes then as customsuburb said, you got a bad cap. can you exchange it from whoever you bought it on ebay? most users are honest and nice. (i've gotten 1 bad one in 120.)
also if you can tell there is a difference in sound, then as customsuburn says, your light may be burnt out.
and lastly, as you said it is signal sensing, you might be having a third wire to the cap that senses the signal, and maybe you didn't connect it. or do you have only 2 wires to the cap?
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
if the cap has no voltage meter there is no need for a remote turn on screw. it might be a bad cap. take the cap off line and put a meter on it. does it have voltage? if it does than its working, light or no light. caps are great they help alot if you already have a good alt. at least 200 amps. you need that to feed your car and your system. BE CAREFULL NOT GROUND THE HOT POST ON THE CAP. YOU'LL HAVE A FIREWORKS SHOW!!! 
Big Dave
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
yes he's absolutely right. don't short the two connections on the cap or even the hot / (+) to the ground/metal. You could either start a fire or get injured yourself too.
00neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

ok guys sorry for taking for ever to reply.  i do have it hooked up right.  i have the fused lead off the battery to the + and then the jump down to the amp, then a jump from the - on the amp to the cap and then from the cap to ground.  i dont notice a sound difference, mainly because its just on my sub.......i havent checked the voltage because i dont know how, i have a the thing needed, but what do i do just put it on the + and then ground it?  or do i put it on the + and then the -?????? just lemme know.  its not a digital read out cap, but my cousin has the same cap just an older model, and it has a remote turn on screw, and the package shows needing one............

1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
00neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
bump
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock