Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
OK...head unit, Pioneer DEH-P2500
amp, US Acoustics USB4065 4 chanel
speakers, Sony Xplodes, 2-6x9 and 2-6.5's.
My head unit has just the rear, preamp outputs. I bought the 4 channel amp, thinking that it would be the best to run these 4 speakers, but am starting to wonder now. The amp has a 65watt RMs x 4 at 4 ohms. The head unit has 22rms x 4. The speakers have 50 rms at 4 ohms.
How do I wire this amp, when I will actually be only using 2 of the channels? Do I have to get a head unit that has front and rear preamp outs? I hope not. I'm about budgeted out!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to, you could use the rear pre-outs for the rear channel inputs on the amp, and get an LOC (line output converter) to convert the front channel speaker outputs from your HU to RCA to drive the front channels of the amp.  That amp will sound FAR better than the built-in amps on the Pioneer, by the way.
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Can I just put Y adapters in behind the deck, and run the RCA's to all 4 channels? All I would be doing is losing my front to rear fade, right? or wrong....would this change the RMS ratings etc?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

You have two options: 1. buy a set of rca splitters and split the signal at the amp or 2. do what DYohn said. You could just use the LOC for all the channels(use your pioneer head-units front or rear output and then send a single signal to the amp which would then be split with rca splitters), that way you would be getting a cleaner signal because the preamp outputs on an LOC will be around 4 volts instead of your receivers 1.5 to 2 volt output. One last option would be to buy something like this: Sony XA-74 which would let you use a single output and fade between the two. This would be like using rca splitters except with the ability to fade between the two sets of speakers.

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
You could go the Y adapter route as well but you won't be able to use the fader control of the radio. The way dyohn suggested is a much better way of doing it.   
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Stereo Setup Wiring - Last Post -- posted image.
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
I was told by a local shop that the LOC's sound like crap. What does everyone think would be the most efficient, and sound the best? Using rear RCA for 1 channel, and the LOC for the other channel, or, using a good Y adapter after the head unit, and going directly to both channels of the amp?
thanks, Justin.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
i would just use y's LOC's are OK but not the greatest.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic