icon

Car Mileage Fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

My dad has a truck , that is brand new.hez using it for 2 years then returning it to the dealer. he will be paying them upon the mileage that he uses'.he installed a switch , that will shut off the mileage thing. on/off. is there any downfall or benefits? any comments?

SDmustang21 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

might be *cough* illegal *cough* messing with the odometer

Buy it, install it, play with it. Then take it back out, read the instructions, install it better!
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
the downfall? It is a felony in the US, highly illegal, is it really worth the possible jailtime to save some money?
Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
You would have to be careful with a switch like that. If you leave it the off position too long it would look suspicious to the dealer if the wear and tear is drastically different than the recorded mileage. Plus, you would have to be very careful about removal of the switch - if you have to cut a wire it's going to be quite obvious what you have done.
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

yeah the switch will be un noticeble, im not worried about that, its easily take in or out. 

and the recorded mileage i'm not worried, cuz so far , well i mentioned to fail to say that he just installed it like yesterday he had the car for about maybe 10 months already. and decided to get the chinese mafia to hoook him up with the switch, any ways.. what i was trying to ask was that, while its off will his alternator still be recharging his battery?

and i did not know that its highly illegal.  illegal towards the company? , or illegal as in running a red light? 187? speeding in a school zone?

Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
"[Odometer fraud is] a felony punishable by imprisonment of up to three years per violation, as well as by a fine of up to $250,000 per violation."
Source:
US Dept. Of Justice
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
dont recomm3end doing this, very illegal, but if you really want, then make sure your car does not look too worn out for the milage.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
geotexz71 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
Hope this truck is not too new! Many new vehicles do not just use the odometer to log mileage. It can be also be stored in the PCM/VCM and/or CRBs. I know, I design them that way...
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
coolies, i never heard you could put a switch in, thats too cool.   But how would you keep track of service intervals??
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=BangBang]

yeah the switch will be un noticeble, im not worried about that, its easily take in or out. 

and the recorded mileage i'm not worried, cuz so far , well i mentioned to fail to say that he just installed it like yesterday he had the car for about maybe 10 months already. and decided to get the chinese mafia to hoook him up with the switch, any ways.. what i was trying to ask was that, while its off will his alternator still be recharging his battery?

and i did not know that its highly illegal.  illegal towards the company? , or illegal as in running a red light? 187? speeding in a school zone?

Odometer tampering..

http://www.usdoj.gov/civil/ocl/monograph/odom.htm

notice the address.. US Department of Justice.. it's a federal offense.

On an OBDII vehicle, I'd be surprised if whatever the switch does to stop the odometer *doesn't* set a trouble code.. and turn the MIL on. I'm not sure how the alternator is tied into all this though..

Regards,

Jim

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic