the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
The ohm reading will vary on the sub as you physically push the cone in and out. Make sure the sub is disconnected from the amp to check it. If while you are pushing the sub in and out (gently) you get a reading of infinity or no reading, this is an indication of a flat spot on the voice coils and voice coil former. You will not be able to see it. There are lots of good subs on the market today, the magic is to match the new sub to the amp and the box that you have, so post up the box type and volume.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
makaveliwi 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

the box was custom built to fit in a truck, i am looking for a new box and sub(s) i have an 89 lesabre 4 door. i don't want to take up the whole trunk, but i want a lot of bass.

milwaukee walt
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
What is the model# of the amp?
makaveliwi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
KAC-7201<>wS('185','5') is the model number of the amp.
milwaukee walt
forbidden 
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well the bad news is that the amp does not make any where near the power that it claims, it is infact rated at 150 w rms x 2 at 4 ohm at 14.4 volts. The good news is that you still can get OK results out of this amp and then put in a monster down the road. Then this amp can be used to power a set of front speakers.

To get loud, choose a pair of good 12" subs that work in a ported enclosure. An average size enclosure for two 12's ported is about 3 cubic feet, not that much loss of space in a trunk. Head out and find some subs that you like that are single 4 ohm voice coil rated up to 300 watts rms or find two dual 4 ohm voice coil subs rated about the same rms. Then we can work on box design.

makaveliwi 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

i fixed the problem with my amp. the amp wasn't getting enough power, there was a voltage drop. i wasn't getting enough contact from the battery tap. i replaced the battery tap and it works fine now.

thanks again,

Walter

milwaukee walt
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic